moll780

Well Known Member
How many of you are using anti-corrosion materials inside the airframe or elsewhere (apart from zinc chromate primer and all that goodness)?
im just curious if this is something that I need to look into starting.
RV-9A located in Central Texas.
thanks

I use it on my certified airplane, but don't think it would help any to use it over primered surface. My Piper does not have any primer inside the wings and I live in MO, which is humid. I am not convinced that it lasts more than 6 months or so after application. It will weep out of every orifice for around 3 months after application and thus attract dirt and dust, so it's a constant wipedown issue. To apply it you need to use an atomizer wand.

Dinitrol AV-8

I used Dinitrol AV-8 (since bought by Ardrox and renamed Ardrox Av-8) on my Cessna 150 and I think it has done a good job. It is however, messy to apply and remaines a bit sticky in service, so if you are crawling around in your tailcone or poking around inside the wings, you can get some on yourself. Also weeps from lap joints, as it should to protect the joint, but if you subsequently paint the exterior, you must be very careful to remove it.

Cessna recently released service letter SEL 51-01 recommending the use of corrosion inhibiting compounds. They recommend CorBan 23, which they manufacture, as well as CorBan 35, Ardrox AV-8, and Ardrox AV-15. Of course on the affected airplanes, Cessna did not primer the interior parts.

I think priming parts prior to assembly provides better anti corrosion protection, although it is more time consuming. I am using epoxy primer over Alumipreped and Alodined aluminum on my RV.

AFC-50 used in my plane

I imported a completed RV7 from San Francisco in 2010.

As there was no internal metal coating so the first thing I did before putting the wings on was to coat all the inside surfaces with AFC-50. Where the AFC was applied the surfaces are still well coated and no sign of corrosion.

Just recently I have noticed slight corrosion appearing where the skins lap at the rear top of the fuselage. I have a sealed baggage area reaching towards the tail, so the AFC-50 was never able to reach into this area. The thought of having to possibly remove paint rivets and the skin scares me.

If anyone has experienced corrosion along the skin joints I would appreciate some advice on this.

Point I wanted to make is I am really glad I coated the plane at the first chance I had, otherwise I might be looking at a much bigger and more expensive repair job.