HFS

Well Known Member
Am currently in the building process of a Day Only VFR -3 and have been reminded that I am required to have an approved "Anti-Collision Lighting System".

Having said that, any thoughts on the simplest, least intrusive system being used out there would be appreciated.

Thanks.

HFS
RV-3
S/N 11226 - Building

Am currently in the building process of a Day Only VFR -3 and have been reminded that I am required to have an approved "Anti-Collision Lighting System".

Having said that, any thoughts on the simplest, least intrusive system being used out there would be appreciated.

Thanks.

HFS
RV-3
S/N 11226 - Building

Why do you have to have lighting? Who is requiring that?

To amplify Chris's response, I dont think it is required that you have anti-collision lights. You certainly can choose to put them on for a added safety benefit.

I believe that Part 91.209(b) is applicable to your situation. It only says that if you have anti collision lights you have to have them on....unless you decide it would cause a safety issue.

FAR 91.205 b (11)

But that is for standard category aircraft:

Sec. 91.205 ? Powered civil aircraft with standard category U.S. airworthiness certificates: Instrument and equipment requirements.

We have EAB certificates, so those regs don't apply.

Or if they do, I know a heck of a lot of EAB's that have no lighting at all and must be illegal...

Carefully read 91.205(a). ....applies to aircraft with a standard airworthiness certificate....

If strictly day vfr you aren't required to have anything. But your operating limitations most likely require you to follow these rules for night or ifr.

But that is for standard category aircraft:

Sec. 91.205 — Powered civil aircraft with standard category U.S. airworthiness certificates: Instrument and equipment requirements.

We have EAB certificates, so those regs don't apply.

Or if they do, I know a heck of a lot of EAB's that have no lighting at all and must be illegal...
Point taken on standard category. I can't say I know anyone who has set out to fly only daytime, but I also have never seen a (post-'70's) EAB without them (anti collision lighting). Better get that agreed to with your DAR before inspection day.

HFS - to unhijack your thread, my knowledge of new systems is limited. I know there are some impressive commercial LED systems available. I built a pseudo-home brew strobe system for mine out of Whelen strobe lamps and a mobile equipment strobe unit. It's still going after 13 yrs, but when it fails, I'm going to probably look at LEDs. Home brew teardrop array possibly. I use LED landing lights (MR-16s) now and am very pleased with the intensity, color and low current draw of those currently available.

One thing to consider if you go LED is to try and future proof it somehow (allow for replacement of your lamps). LED technology is increasing dramatically each year it seems.

Last edited:
Why would you not?

I cannot imagine anyone NOT taking advantage of reliable and (relative) inexpensive technology to help other aircraft avoid hitting you! It is not just your life you are protecting!

(Sorry for the rant!)