whd721

Well Known Member
I am installing a com system in my project. BNC connectors, RG-400 coax and a CL-122 bent com antenna. Carefully crimped connectors, tight routing and coax anchored along the run.

Yesterday I happened to look in the tail cone of my Piper. Two bent com antennas are on the top of the fuselage. One had a coax that had been clipped off about 6" from the antenna and was just hanging down. The second antenna had an old ratty looking coax hanging down in the tail cone unsupported for about 4 feet. The coax center wire was soldered to a ring fastened by a nut at the end of the antenna whip. The coax shield was stripped back 2-3" from the end and soldered to the antenna base below the white ceramic insulation ring. This Piper installation has worked for nearly 50 years. WOW1

How much com transmission efficiency am I losing with this arrangement?

Hard to say exactly. You could get an inline VSWR meter and test your transmit power out vs reflected. But, you're taking a chance of letting some of the magic dust spill out. Then it never will work right again without spending time and money...

Doing a good install on your kit, besides insuring that it'll work right to begin with, just means it'll at least be 50 years or so before it looks like the Piper.

Last edited: