Doug94

Well Known Member
Does anyone have the quick answer for this antenna question...

I have the archer wing tip VOR antenna, will this work as a VOR and Glide Slope antenna or is this antenna strictly VOR? Thanks

Quick answer: yes, it can work for both.

Longer answer: You may need a diplexer or splitter to use it for both, depending on what radio you have. And you should expect reduced performance (effective reception range) by an amount that also depends on how you split the signal.

This topic has been discussed on this forum several times in the past. Use the search function.

GS antenna

You can make a very simple and inexpensive glideslope antenna. Take two 9"-10" long pieces of 1/4" or 3/8" adhesive-back copper tape and put them in the top of the canopy positioned from side-to-side, about 1/4"-3/8' apart in the center, just slightly forward of the opening. Slip a couple of ferrite beads over the coax at the end that attaches to the antenna, strip the end of the coax, and solder the center conductor to one strip in the middle and the shield to the other. It makes no difference which goes to the right element and which to the left. Run the coax down the inside edge of the windshield to the receiver. That way you'll have a very sensitive 1/2 wave dipole for the GS and you won't lose any sensitivity in the VHF Omni-Range signal. If you don't have any of this tape, it's easily obtained. Lots of guys used the tape to make antennas for their composite airplanes; there is a little kit with the tape and the beads that ACS has for $20, but instead of the tape you can just use wire or narrow braid, and glue it in place with RTV. ACS has the beads for $0.80 each! If you used to fly a 172 you probably saw the little GS antenna at the top of the windshield, sorta hanging loose.

You can make a very simple and inexpensive glideslope antenna. Take two 9"-10" long pieces of 1/4" or 3/8" adhesive-back copper tape and put them in the top of the canopy positioned from side-to-side, about 1/4"-3/8' apart in the center, just slightly forward of the opening. Slip a couple of ferrite beads over the coax at the end that attaches to the antenna, strip the end of the coax, and solder the center conductor to one strip in the middle and the shield to the other. It makes no difference which goes to the right element and which to the left. Run the coax down the inside edge of the windshield to the receiver. That way you'll have a very sensitive 1/2 wave dipole for the GS and you won't lose any sensitivity in the VHF Omni-Range signal. If you don't have any of this tape, it's easily obtained. Lots of guys used the tape to make antennas for their composite airplanes; there is a little kit with the tape and the beads that ACS has for $20, but instead of the tape you can just use wire or narrow braid, and glue it in place with RTV. ACS has the beads for $0.80 each! If you used to fly a 172 you probably saw the
little GS antenna at the top of the windshield, sorta hanging loose.

Would it be possible to install this in a wing tip with one of the copper tapes on the top inside and one on the bottom inside? It seems that a GS antenna is a very simple affair.

Bill Near

I heard something about a piece of coax, run inside of The gear leg fairing, part of it being stirpped? For the glideslope.. Anyone try this? Results?

I heard something about a piece of coax, run inside of The gear leg fairing, part of it being stirpped? For the glideslope.. Anyone try this? Results?

This has worked without any issues for me. Super cheap and easy way to get the job done.

I have a 16" stripped Coax GS antenna that is tucked around the roll bar on my -8, and it works great. I can't see any real differene between that and the leading edge of the gear fairing, so that's where it is going on the -3.

Paul

Is it just the outer layer of insulation that is stripped? Or is the shield cut off as well at 16"?

If mounting in the wingtip, do you lay the 16" coax parallel to the outer riib or parallel to the spar?

Crossed threads

In another thread, one poster suggested getting some 3/8" wide copper tape and cutting two strips about 9-10" long, sticking them on the inside of the windshield, soldering a coax shield to one side, the conductor to the other, putting a couple of toroids on the unstripped portion of the coax and using that as a GS antenna. I was wondering if the copper conductor tape could be taped inside the wingtip in some configuration to act as the GS antenna. It looks like I might have to try it and see unless some tech type can tell me some reason not.

Bill Near