Greenley

Well Known Member
Working out antenna locations for my standard build RV10, trying to keep open the possibility of installing a MotoPod. If I am understanding correctly, to meet legal requirements and take full advantage of ADSB, I will need both a transponder antenna and a UAT antenna. To keep these separated, I am looking at installing the transponder antenna under the front left of the fuselage (under the pilots feet), and the UAT antenna around the area where the battery is mounted in the tail cone. I have seen one reference that the transponder antenna needs to be at least 3' physical straight line distance from the transponder unit itself. Is this correct? Any advice? For COMM I am looking at putting one under a wing, and one on top, with a NAV antenna in a wingtip.

Different devices by different manufacturers will have different requirements, so you can't just say that all transponders need to be 3' away from the transponder itself.

For instance, our transponder doesn't have a distance requirement from the antenna, however, our UAT antenna needs to be 2' away from a transponder antenna. Other manufacturers may need more or less.

Do you know what equipment you are using yet?

I faced almost the same choices (2 screen G3X, GTX 23, SL30, & GTN 650) originally had my comm antennas on the belly (to the point of already drilled the holes and riveted on doublers) but I too decided to go with as motopod (although to this point all I've done is bought and installed the hardpoints). Anyway, I moved comm #1 to the top of the tailcone and comm #2 to the bottom of the right wing near the root. My VOR/GS antenna is on the bottom under the HS. 2 of my 3 GPS antennas are on the cabin top basically between the doors, the 3rd is on my glareshield. Finally my transponder antenna is on the bottom just aft of the baggage bulkhead and offset laterally off the centerline to the right as the 23ES is back there as well but on the left on a shelf (Van's AHRS mount). My baggage floors were already installed so to clear the pod my choices were pretty limited without a lot extra work.

I am currently looking at Dynon or GRT but, who knows where technology will go in the next two years. I just want to do some prep work now while it is a lot easier. I am currently in the chapter where the front floor gets riveted, and don't want to pull those up.