sahrens

Well Known Member
I have read through most of the postings concerning antenna types, peformance and locations. I did not see any mention of locating the GS antenna behind the F-705 bulkhead, that is to say just behind the seat backs. I guess I should mention I am building a 7A. I believe the nominal lenght of coax for the GS is 16 -18 inches, so that length would fit.

Has anyone tried that location?

Thanks.

Hi Scott....

....it may well be shielded if it's located there. You'll have the engine, prop and all the wiring ahead of it.

If you locate it in front of the roll bar, you can run it down the roll bar support tube and into the dash and it'll be just about invisible and mounted up high with no obstruction to reception,

Best,

Antenna locations, again.

I was looking at my Cherokee which has the whiskers on the tail. Although it was just a visual inspection, it looked like the whiskers would have some interference from the cabin and engine when you consider the normal 3 degree angle of the GS signal.

I guess I can always try it behind the seats using velcro and move it to a better location if needed.

Thanks for your input.

What avionics system are you using for your GS? I assume it's not an SL30?

Also, aren't the whiskers usually for VOR reception? On older planes I tend to see GS antennas on the windshield, at the very top.

Whiskers

Well, the VOR / GS is an old Narco 122D. I believe you can get GS from the whisker antenna, but I am pretty sure there isn't a GS antenna at the top of the windshield in the fuselage.

Now that I think about it I will have to go look.