macrafic

Well Known Member
I posted this in the General area a couple of days ago, but didn't get a response. Thought I would post it again.

I had once read somewhere that a conductive anti-corrosive paste/grease should be applied to the threads of the steel bolts/screws used to attach the antenna to the aluminum skin, thereby preserving the ground plane but, at the same time, addressing the dissimilar metal corrosion issue.

For the life of me, I can't remember (or fiind) the suggested paste/grease. Any suggestions out there?

I posted this in the General area a couple of days ago, but didn't get a response. Thought I would post it again.

I had once read somewhere that a conductive anti-corrosive paste/grease should be applied to the threads of the steel bolts/screws used to attach the antenna to the aluminum skin, thereby preserving the ground plane but, at the same time, addressing the dissimilar metal corrosion issue.

For the life of me, I can't remember (or fiind) the suggested paste/grease. Any suggestions out there?

I believe its zinc-rich grease that is specified. I've never been able to source it. Perhaps spark-plug anti-seize will work. Try measuring the conductivity of a dollup of it.

V

Permatex Conductive Adhesives

Hi Rich,

There are various conductive adhesives, sealants, and elastomers available for purchase online, but they're usually very expensive (silver content) even in very small quantities.

The only conductive adhesive I could find locally is Permatex's "Complete Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit,? item number 09117. The kit contains a small vial of copper-colored conductive paint (for reconnecting rear window grid lines) and small packets of conductive adhesive and activator (for reattaching the power tab to the grid). Both systems are conductive, but their drawback is that they are definitely quick-acting adhesives (tack-free in 2 minutes) and not sealants (or grease/paste). I don?t know what the break-out force would be if you use either of Permatex?s conductive adhesives on threads; it might be pretty high!

Also, the kit?s quantities are small; there?s not enough there for a large adhesive job. I bought two kits at $13 each (O?Reilly?s Auto Parts) and used the tab adhesive packet system to successfully bond a thin brass ground strip to my firewall. I used the vials of grid paint to seal some ground tabs bolted to the brass strip. The paint and packet adhesives are definitely conductive; I could not detect any resistance with my analog (needle-type) volt-ohm meter. Also, the conductive adhesives seem to coat well enough to counteract dissimilar metal corrosion. You've got to work fast, though!

Grid Adhesive TDS:

http://www.permatex.com/documents/tds/Automotive/15067.pdf

Tab Adhesive TDS:

http://www.permatex.com/documents/tds/automotive/21351.pdf

MSDS for the Kit:

http://www.permatex.com/documents/msds/01_USA-English/09117.pdf

That?s my contribution, anyway!

Good Luck!

Bill Palmer :)
Chino Hills, CA

Thanks Guys!

I happened into a conversation with another builder who mentioned Ox-Gard. I read up on it and it appears to be the ticket; plus, it is readily available and not too expensive.

Appreciate the feedback!