garrys

I am looking for recommendations for a source of an antenna for my XM Satellite Weather receiver. I'm pretty sure I need to mount it externally on the top of the fuselage between the canopy and the vertical stab. The antenna that came with the receiver I mounted on the glare shield, and it doesn't work at all. Trouble shooting has narrowed it down to the antenna not getting a good signal. Suggestions?

Surprising it doesn't work on the glare shield- that's where Rob Hickman has his and it works fine.

Anywhere Map XM

Hi Garry,
My XM is via Anywhere Map and the antenna had a very long cord. I had much better results when the engine was off when it was mounted close to the cockpit. So I moved it to the wingtip and it works much better. I still see times when the signal strength shows 3 yellow rather than 3 green, but it has performed fine even when yellow.
Dale

My receiver is made by XM, and it runs through a Grand Rapids processor and into their EFIS. We have swapped out the receiver, the processor, the power supply and the antenna...........every piece of hardware in the system but still no joy. I know others have placed the antenna on the glare shield with good results, but perhaps I'm getting some RF interference from something in my panel that is interfering with the signal. That's why I want to try a different antenna and a different mounting location.
I've sent an email to Comant asking for advice on an antenna, but no response.
Garry

solved with new antena

I had the same problem and finally replaced the antena with an upgraded one from the company that supplies to WX for GRT HX system. I believe is is WX Works. They had an upgraded type of antena with a shorter cable and a little larger. I had to go through GRT and do some tests to make sure it was not the HX and it came out that it was not recieving signal from the WX Works box. Once that was done they called WX Works and greased the skids to have them send me out a new antena. I mounted it on the glare shield and it has completly solved my problem. I had been fighting with it for over a year. On another note I have also had a problem with a gps antena for a TT ADI and it also solved the problem. What I have found is it is not the mounting position as much as faulty antenas. I have three across the glare shield and they all work fine now.

Hope that helps
Floyd

For those that have the GRT HX.... is it possible to get weather and music on the wx receiver..? Mabe a receiver from XM..?