prkaye

Well Known Member
I like to check things with my multimeter... if only to teach myself things.
When I use the multimeter between the center conductor of the female BNC connector on my xpndr antenna and the tip of the antenna itself, I get (nearly) zero resistance. But when I do the same check on my COMM antenna, I get not conductivity between the center conductor and the tip of the antenna. Is this normal?

Phil... the answer is not simple as some antennas have a direct dc connection between the radiating element and the center conductor of the connector. In the case of the xpndr antenna (assuming it is a simple "post" style, your reading is correct.... just make sure there is no reading between the center and the outer.

As for the comm antenna sometimes there is a dc blocking capacitor in the radiating element circuit. If this receives signals OK then it should be OK for transmit as well (VSWR check during transmit will confirm this... if you're not sure about his procedure, a local ham radio operator might be able to help out).

Hope this helps

Peter

addendum to antenna check

...Phil, further to the above advice, if you can tell me the make and model of your comm antenna, then i might be able to advise you further

Always check continuity with both ends of the coax not connected to an antenna or a radio/transponder. You're checking to make sure your crimp/solder connectors were installed correctly.