pierre smith

Well Known Member
..from a newbie Spot user.

I thought that I had configured my Spot Share page to automatically send emails to me and other friends whenever we activated it and started a trip. Jenny and I flew to Ocean Isle, N.C. on Sunday with the spot blinking green under the OK button, so I figured all was well. Well, nobody, including me, received an email message nor any tracking info.

How do I fix this? I'm having a heckuva time opening my account...it's either the wrong password or some other gremlin:cool:

Thanks,

If you go to the share page, is the track there? Unless something has changed, I don't recall any notification being sent for normal tracking, only when you press the check or aid buttons.

Pierr, I have the older spot, and to get personal tracking messages sent I just push the button to the right of the on/off button, and it sends out the notification. Then after a while, I hold that same button down for about 7 seconds, and when both it and the on/off button blink together about once per second, I know it is sending tracking info. Sometimes I have to do the first one, and then I power it on and off to get the tracking to work.

Vic

I have never seen an automatic email sent when you start it tracking Pierre. What Louise does is send an "OK" message upon turning it on, then puts it in "Track" mode when she takes off. I get an "OK" email telling me she is ready to depart, and then I can go to the shared page to check her progress.

Paul

Double Blink

Like Vic said Pierre, on mine I have to hold down the OK button until both green lights flash and then it is in track mode.

By the way, good seeing you at Boshears show Saturday. Weather really stunk didn't it?

Not quite, Paul

Actually, I do what Vic describes. When I first arrive at the plane, I turn the Spot on (left-center) and, once it is ready (take maybe 5 seconds), I push the right-center button. Both center lights will start blinking green (unfortunately....and one of my biggest gripes...the exact same thing that happens when you start it "tracking"). One of two things can and do go wrong at this point: 1. I try to push the check-in (right-center) button too early (or don't hold it long enough...both cause problems) and it doesn't "take. For this reason, I try to confirm success by checking the lights; 2. I hold the button too long and it goes into track instead of check-in mode. No way to detect this problem until you get home (or find the light still blinking 20 minutes later).

Once I'm through pre-flight, taxi, and run-up, I go to track mode. If I have taken long enough and the right-center light has quit blinking, I just hold the right-center button more than 6 seconds and start tracking. Most of the time, I'm ready to take-off before check-in mode stops and I have to turn the unit off, wait, turn it on, then start track mode. Again, because the blinking lights are identical for both check-in mode and tracking mode, I try to remember to check that both lights are still blinking after 10 minutes (or so) of flight.

Like some people I know, the Spot can be pretty annoying but I've found it worth putting up with for the positive traits it offers. ;)

Last edited:
..from a newbie Spot user.

I thought that I had configured my Spot Share page to automatically send emails to me and other friends whenever we activated it and started a trip. Jenny and I flew to Ocean Isle, N.C. on Sunday with the spot blinking green under the OK button, so I figured all was well. Well, nobody, including me, received an email message nor any tracking info.

How do I fix this? I'm having a heckuva time opening my account...it's either the wrong password or some other gremlin:cool:

Thanks,

Pierre........... Your password is caps on or off, don't mix em.

LOG ON..... GO TO.. MY SPOT DEVICES. THEN PICK.... EDIT PROFILE.

At this point you can choose e-mail and or cell phones to contact for the OK message when it is sent. That list will stay till you change it.

As for tracking, You must set that up each time (see correction at bottom) before you depart. Spot will give you an address to where your track will be found. You e-mail this address to the people that you want to see your progress.

GOOD LUCK!...................;)
PS. BUT ANYTIME you start the unit tracking, it will create the track in your file that only you can see by going into SPOT with your password. So you can do many tracks over several days, and they will be in your file.... Anyone with your share address can also view this without a password.

CORRECTION........ Paul brought this to my attention........ Once you set up your share list and get the address from SPOT, it is good to use forever..

Last edited:
Not my experience

I have a permanent page that shows my Spot tracks to anyone who want to look (http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0xQrhemIXZi9DS43kiz6jrMhQyl4oO0dD). I certainly don't have to set up anything for each flight except hit the track button (properly). I think it keeps tracks for something like 7 days. Pierre, you can see my check-in messages for the two flights I've made over the last few days. In all four cases, e-mail messages were sent to Paul, as well.

As for tracking, You must set that up each time before you depart. Spot will give you an address to where your track will be found. You e-mail this address to the people that you want to see your progress.

GOOD LUCK!...................;)

PS. BUT ANYTIME you start the unit tracking, it will create the track in your file that only you can see by going into SPOT with your password. So you can do many tracks over several days, and they will be in your file.

I'm not sure I follow you on the tracking. We just tell our kids that we're off on a flight, and they use our original login/passwords to track our flight. We don't do anything before departing. Of course, if you're talking about something else....

And BTW---- it worked flawless for the last four days. My daughter even called within minutes of landing for a restroom stop. She thought we had problems or something. She's the nervous type... :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I'm not sure I follow you on the tracking. We just tell our kids that we're off on a flight, and they use our original login/passwords to track our flight. We don't do anything before departing. Of course, if you're talking about something else....

And BTW---- it worked flawless for the last four days. My daughter even called within minutes of landing for a restroom stop. She thought we had problems or something. She's the nervous type... :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

That is why I added the PS to my post above. It will always track to your file, but you need your password to see it.

But if you want others to see it and don't want to give out your password, then you must do it the other way and use the SHARE tab to set it up.

That is why I added the PS to my post above. It will always track to your file, but you need your password to see it.

But if you want others to see it and don't want to give out your password, then you must do it the other way and use the SHARE tab to set it up.

Okay.

I've never used the share file, and hear that it can take up to half an hour to post a track. I know that the password method is near instantaneous.

L.Adamson

I HAVE FOUND THAT IF I DON'T FIRE UP MY SPOT AND GIVE IT TIME TO PICK UP THE SATALITE(S), IT HAS PROBLEMS. INSTRUCTIONS STATE UP TO 20 MIN. TO LOCK ON.

Yes, but once you set up the share, it stays permanently, and the people you share it with don't need a pasword. I am using the original "share" link we set up over a year ago, and it works all the time.

Yes, but once you set up the share, it stays permanently, and the people you share it with don't need a pasword. I am using the original "share" link we set up over a year ago, and it works all the time.

PAUL... It is understood that you set up a "share link" so you don't give out your password to your account. What I didn't know is that the link is forever. That is great. Thanks for that info. I will make a note in my previous post.

Looking at my SPOT account, there is many ways that you have control over who can see your track.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies...

....I did hold the OK light for ten seconds or so, 'til the light started blinking.

I also have a half dozen email addresses shared and the automatic email box checked. no one, including me, received anything. I guess I'm confused as to whether I just have an OK sent, and if that's the case, I didn't get a text message, nor did anyone else, but the light blinked for the entire 80 minute flight.

Thanks anyway:confused:

Pierre

Pierre, from your description, you put it in track mode. That does not send an 'Ok'. To do that you have to press the button momentarily. I've tested that function with my wife's phone and email and it does work but I find the button/light interface on the Spot does leave a little to be desired.

More than one second, less than 6 seconds

Pierre,
To send out the OK message, you needed to hold the OK/track (right-center) button for more than one second and less than six seconds. As already mentioned, you put it directly into track mode. If it had been in OK mode, the second blinking light would have stopped blinking after about five minutes.

Pierre,

You've already gotten some good answers, but thought I'd add my buttonology procedures (which Louise taught me!) and what I look at/for to make sure it's working.

For the shared page, concur with the others. Set it up once, and its where others can go to see your track. You can have them bookmark the site, and I actually bookemarked my wife's browser with the page to make it easier for her. You could also list the URL for your shared page in your "Check/OK" message, and the recipients could just click on the link to go to that page when they get the "Check/OK" e-mail. I ran out of characters to do that, as I said something like, "SPOT Check/OK. Launching in 15-30 mins. Follow me on my SPOT shared page. Second OK msg = arrived OK". I might redo that to add my SPOT URL, and maybe later the iPhone tracker URL, and maybe even the APRS URL (when I get one). Might not be enough characters allowed to do all that though!

My SPOT URL (FWIW) is:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0K4svVL7OeYGoHTqRNmPWsHJMk2PgTyYd

When I fly, I do much as Louise does. Wheel out the airplane, and as I start the preflight, I grab the SPOT, and push the ON button momentarily. I look to see the left green light flash. Once it flashes, I push the Check/OK button momentarily (for just about a second), and then look to see that both green lights flash after I let up on the OK button. Double-flash after a momentary push means the OK msg was/is being sent. I put my own cell number in the list of recipients, and I quickly get the "OK" text from SPOT, and thus I have a confirmation that it went out.

Then I put the SPOT back on the dash, do the preflight, man-up and taxi. As Louise said, normally by the time I get done with the run-up, the double flash from the OK msg has stopped, and I then push and hold the OK button until I see a double flash again while I'm holding the OK button down (normally takes about 7 seconds). This time the double flash means its in tracking mode, so I plop it back on the dash, and blast off. However, as has also been said earlier, if the original OK msg double flash is still going (fast preflight and taxi), I have to turn the unit off, then back on, then push and hold the OK button for that 7 seconds till I get the double flash while holding it, to enter tracking mode.

Sometimes I forget to start the tracking mode before takeoff, so I may add a checklist item to the end of my run-up checks, "Trackers-ON"...then into the before takeoff checklist, and blast off.

When I get to my destination, I turn the unit off, then on, and then send another OK msg (momentary push) to say, "I'm here". I then get a text again, and know that it went out the second time.

Hope I didn't beat that up too much! :) It's actually very easy, and has worked very well.

Navy short version:

On (see left flash)
Momentary OK (see double flash after releasing OK button...OK msg sent)
Taxi/Run-up
Look for left flash only
Long OK (double flash while holding OK down...in Tracking)

If you'd like, add my number to your text list (7755443511 AT&T), and I'll let you know if I get the OK msg. Shoot me your shared page, and I'll watch you go out and play!

Have fun, and good luck!

Cheers,
Bob

One more tip

When I get to my destination, I turn the unit off, then on, and then send another OK msg (momentary push) to say, "I'm here". I then get a text again, and know that it went out the second time.

Bob,
I've found that I can turn the track mode off by holding that right(center) green button down for at least 6 seconds. Once that button quits blinking, I push it again for 1-2 seconds and the green starts flashing again while the OK message will go out. So, if I have a long roll-out and/or taxi (e.g., College Station), I turn the tracking off while rolling and usually have the OK message going out before or immediately after engine off.

I do believe I "got it" from you guys...

...Bob and Louise.

So the link doesn't change from trip to trip?

Neat, and thanks again,

Edit: Well whadayaknow! It did track us after all. Here:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/gogl.jsp?glId=0vUknkNnN1NvSX2eyon0NyA7q40FKHhYO

but the little sucka didn't send me or anyone else an email...gues I'll just have to do it. I also did not send an OK first...just went directly to "Tracking" mode. Actually, both trips are overlaid on each other....the trip up and the trip back...the reason for the funny sequence numbers...Wow....it worked both ways and I didn't know it.

Regards,

Last edited:
Off topic sort of! A hiker taking photos of a waterfall in the Ozark Natural Forest fell from a 30 foot bluff onto rocks below and partially in the creek below. He never lost conciousness but was hurt badly. He activated the 911 feature on his locator and within a short time he was found alive and rescued. The locator saved his life.

Last edited:
Bob,
I've found that I can turn the track mode off by holding that right(center) green button down for at least 6 seconds. Once that button quits blinking, I push it again for 1-2 seconds and the green starts flashing again while the OK message will go out. So, if I have a long roll-out and/or taxi (e.g., College Station), I turn the tracking off while rolling and usually have the OK message going out before or immediately after engine off.

Thanks Louise, I'll give that a try!

Pierre, the track looks good!

Cheers,
Bob

Spot suggest that you turn on your unit, with clear track to the sky and give it up to 20 min to lock on. The suggestion to power on before you start your preflight is a good idea. If you add your cell to the contact list you can do a test before taxi.

Absolutely...

Off topic sort of! A hiker taking photos of a waterfall in the Ozark Natural Forest fell from a 30 foot bluff onto rocks below and partially in the creek below. He never lost conciousness but was hurt badly. He activated the 911 feature on his locator and within a short time he was found alive and rescued. The locator saved his life.

...the reason I decided to go with one. If you'll pay close attention to your surroundings while going places in the RV, or anything else for that matter, you can see a lot of wooded and desolate areas where you'd be difficult to locate, should you go down. While you may not be incapacitated, you may well be trapped.

Anyone who does day trips fairly frequently would do well to own one, IMO

Thanks again,

Spot suggest that you turn on your unit, with clear track to the sky and give it up to 20 min to lock on. The suggestion to power on before you start your preflight is a good idea. If you add your cell to the contact list you can do a test before taxi.

FWIW ---- I turn the unit on, and immediately put the SPOT into the tracking function before I even start the engine. Still works every time.

L.Adamson ---- RV6A

Attaching a brain to a SPOT is not an option!

I think the hiker was mighty lucky for the SPOT to work in the heavily wooded Ozarks...at the bottom of a bluff. I'm glad it worked for him. I also carry my SPOT on hikes these days. However, the SPOTs are helping to create new problems. Like I mentioned in another thread, this piece of equipment isn't a simple yes/no, great/bad tool and needs a good brain attached to it to be used prudently.

A press release this morning from the Grand Canyon NP (where tree canopies aren't an issue):

"Hikers Evacuated After Three SPOT Activations In Three Days

By Brandon Torres, Canyon District Shift Supervisor
October 21, 2009

On the evening of September 23rd, rangers began a search for hikers who repeatedly activated their rented SPOT satellite tracking device. The GEOS Emergency Response Center in Houston reported that someone in the group of four hikers ? two men and their two teenaged sons ? had pressed the ?help? button on their SPOT unit. The coordinates for the signal placed the group in a remote section of the park, most likely on the challenging Royal Arch loop. Due to darkness and the remoteness of the location, rangers were unable to reach them via helicopter until the following morning. When found, they?d moved about a mile and a half to a water source. They declined rescue, as they?d activated the device due to their lack of water. Later that same evening, the same SPOT device was again activated, this time using the ?911? button. Coordinates placed them less than a quarter mile from the spot where searchers had found them that morning. Once again, nightfall prevented a response by park helicopter, so an Arizona DPS helicopter whose crew utilized night vision goggles was brought in. They found that the members of the group were concerned about possible dehydration because the water they?d found tasted salty, but no actual emergency existed. The helicopter crew declined their request for a night evacuation, but provided them with water before departing. On the following morning, another SPOT ?help? activation came in from the group. This time they were flown out by park helicopter. All four refused medical assessment or treatment. The group?s leader had reportedly hiked once at the Grand Canyon; the other adult had no Grand Canyon and very little backpacking experience. When asked what they would have done without the SPOT device, the leader stated, ?We would have never attempted this hike.? The group leader was issued a citation for creating a hazardous condition (36 CFR 2.34(a)(4)). "