N131RV

Well Known Member
Well, this makes a total of three vans gauges that have cr*pped out on me in less than 200 hours of use:

1. The oil pressure gauge, which I reported here.

2. My tachometer randomly quits working (and then comes back). I have spent hours trying to figure out why.

3. Today, the Manifold pressure gauge is not working correctly.

I noticed after reaching altitude (3500') this morning (nice 66 degrees) that I only indicated 17 inches of MP.

After completing the flight and shutting down the engine, instead of reading the local barometric pressure, 29.80, the thing only went up to 20"!

Has anyone else had these kind of problems with Vans gauges? I'm starting to wonder about the other ones. :)

Just FYI

possibility

Be sure and check that you do not have raw fuel in the hose between the engine and the firewall.... I don't know if it is just condensation or what but it sure makes the gauge read incorrectly and happens over time slowly.....

Tachnometer troubles

On first start up, our tach never moved. We tested according to manual to find the tach sensor at the back of the engine case is bad. When we removed, there is a "tang" or small drive shaft between the case and the sensor that turns to register RPM's electronically. If we wiggled this just right, it occasionally made the tach jump but never for a continuous period. Van's replaced the sensor unit since this was new.

Pat Garboden
Ozark, MO
RV-9A N942WG O-235 w/electric panel

If all else fails I have a 2 1/4" UMA MP guage new out of the box. I was going CS but never did. PN UMA 7-100-20 from Chief if you want it. Just FYI

2. My tachometer randomly quits working (and then comes back). I have spent hours trying to figure out why.Just FYI

My Van's tach did the same thing - it actually only did it for a few minutes after start up and then would start working.

I just replaced the sender unit on the engine and that fixed it. Both parts are available seperately (I think).

VTACH GEN

A mechanic on the field told me that Vans vtach generator is actually a Ford cruise control component. Something else to file away for possible future use.

Steve

I just received my Van's sender manifold yesterday and, while it is a nice piece, it did have a couple of large burrs that were hanging loose right inside the bores. One popped loose as soon as I touched it. It looked like they happened when the threads were cut. I'm not complaining, just pointing out that these could definitely mess with the function of the senders.

Vans Tach Sending Unit Cable Extension

Here's one for you... If you use the 12" cable extension for Van's sending unit on the engine and if you flex that cable into a nice 90 degree bow to say mount on your firewall like I did - a nice big, healthy radius mind you. You will find that the effective length of the cable is too short in the sheath and will actually bind up and cause problems with the sending unit itself. It took me awhile to figure it out, so posting this here for others. The solution for me was to make a small metal spacer and insert it in the sending unit to push out the cable so that it was long enough. It did have plenty of grab on the cable. Now works fine, 150 hours later, still ok.

I've experienced similar poor performance from Van's gauges. I think you get what you pay for. I used to have a panel full, but now all the engine information comes from a GRT EIS 4000 and the only Van's gauages are the for fuel quantity.

Pete

And another one ..

My Van's tach did the same thing - it actually only did it for a few minutes after start up and then would start working.

I just replaced the sender unit on the engine and that fixed it. Both parts are available seperately (I think).

We have been having the same type of problem with ours. I replaced the **gauge** (it was easy to get to) ... no joy. Now I guess I have to bite the bullet and get to the wiring and replace the sender. Bummer.

At least we have a MP gauge so I know the power setting when flying formation at lead. :)

James