CNEJR

Well Known Member
I am wiring my 6 using a conventional switch for the mags & starter and a split switch for the master & alternator. Question? Should you be able to engage the starter with the master off?

I know Van's system shows "no" on their basic wire diagram, but in the unlikely event you had a generator failure & low battery complicated by engine stop, wouldn't you want to turn the master off to conserve battery and still be able to crank?

Oh, these little stupid questions.

Possible Problems with this approach

What happens if you wire the starter solenoid directly to the battery, then the solenoid fails closed (it does happen occasionally)? How are you going to shut off the power to it?

Sorry about being short with my previous post. Making the starter available with the master switch off is a BIG safety issue.
Why would you need the starter in flight? If the engine died, there's usually a reason and a restart would probably not be a good idea.
My starter is wired through the backside of my avionics master switch. If the master switch is off or the avionics master is on, the starter is not available.