koda2

Well Known Member
Those look great! Is the head the same thickness as the SD-42-BSLF pop rivet? How much would it cost for you to make a set for me!

Another Way

Thats a good idea. I think I'll steal it. But I think I'll use a 1/4" stainless screw and grind the head down using my dremel with the screw in the drill press then drill a hole down the center and file off the threads to fit the tube.

Brian Dal Porto

Dave,
A while back I bought a small lathe, but I'm still not very good at using it. If you wouldn't mind sharing, could you pass on any tips or details about how exactly you made these? I'd like to try.

koda2 said:
After looking at Van's kit and feeling the same consternation as others about the rivet made static ports I decided to roll my own system. My system ultimately may not work any better and I haven't tested them in flight yet but I certainly feel better about it. My static ports were constructed of stainless and were dimensioned to mimic the SD-42-BSLF rivets that Vans sells.
http://pages.suddenlink.net/daa12tejas/staticport/sp1.jpg
http://pages.suddenlink.net/daa12tejas/staticport/sp2.jpg
They look awesome and I am sure they will work well. However, out of 5000 vans ships flying, I would bet there are 9000 plus pop rivet static ports in service, as installed per Vans instructions, and I have never heard of a problem. Just want to keep things in perspective for others reviewing the posts. Vans engineers are not stupid people and their design has withstood the test of time on thousands of machines. So, sorry i dont get the consternation. As always, this is a hobby and to each his own and I mean no disrespect to anyone who wants to do their own thing or is not satisfied with any factory or other solution. Thats what it is all about, our own personal choice and there are a lot of very good creative solutions out there.

Jon,
You beat me to it. I was just about to make the same statement. My -6 has been flying for 14 years with the "lowly" pop rivets with nary a problem. And I can show you many, many other RVs flying with the same results.