David-aviator

Well Known Member
Good friend Roger Mell has flown his RV-7 from Spirit Airport in St. Louis. The first flight was a couple months ago and has about 12 hours to date. I asked Roger if it was appropriate to announce the flight at the time and his response was, no, lets see how things go. Well, they have gone well so he's ready to admit doing it.

Roger is a retired MD who flew F-86's in the USAF before going off to med school, so flying is not new to him. But building the RV since retirement was new and for sure some of the techniques used as an orthopedic surgeon came in handy from time to time. He is a member of our local geezer club and has had plenty of kibitzing along the way but everyone will say it is a very well built airplane.

Congrats to Roger, I don't think he will mind my saying he is closer to 80 than 70. Another job well done!

Oh, by the way, he did have the shoulder harness and seat belt hooked up for the first flight. :) The grin is actually on the day the engine was first started a few weeks earlier. Its bigger today.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Congradulations Rager. Good to have another RV flying in STL. Not nearly the numbers of Texas, MN, and Oregon but we have a few here.