Toobuilder

Well Known Member
I think we've all heard a tale of an airplane crashing on its first flight after a build or extensive restoration due to junk in the fuel lines. For some reason, this type of accident has always stuck with me and it guides my maintenance. Well, perhaps it's time for another reminder because I almost got bit by the same thing the other night.

Returning home from Vegas the other weekend, it was time for an oil change, so I figured as long as the engine was unbuttoned, I'd install that second P-Mag that's been on the shelf for the last year. Oil changed and Bendix magneto in the trash, the engine run showed an immediate improvement in starting and idle quality. On shutdown however, the injection servo is dripping fuel from the lower impact tube. Not good. A quick call to Don at Airflow, and the servo is boxed and on its way for overhaul. Fortunately, I have another servo attached to the RV-8 that has darkened a corner of my hangar for nearly a year. It should be noted that I have replaced every fuel line on this RV from the fuel tanks to the flow divider, and most of them are SS hard line. And while I have yet to run a drop of fuel through this "new" fuel system, I have carefully cleaned and inspected each new line as it was fabricated. I was planning on running extensive fuel flow tests prior to flight on the RV, but for this quick servo change to a flying airplane, I did not think that was required. I checked the screen in the servo and looked it over pretty well however. Servo installed and the Hiperbipe now runs better than ever! Following a thorough ground run, I flew the thing for a total of about 1.2 hours with several touch and goes, a little acro, and plenty of high power operation - all without a hint of trouble. Sunday evening was perfect for flying so I decided to take it out for a little bit before dinner. Start and runup were all normal, however as I advanced the throttle on takeoff roll, the engine fell right on its face about the time the tail came up. I pulled the power and rolled to a stop with about half the 2600 ft runway remaining.

OK, long story short: One cylinder goes cold at anything over 1200 RPM; comes back at idle. So I pulled all the injectors and did the "bottle flow test", which quickly revealed a partly plugged injector on the cold cylinder. I pulled the metering orifice out of the offending injector and sure enough, there was a tiny sliver of metal in it. Once cleaned, the injector came back to life. I figured I should take the flow divider apart and check it out too, and it had a bigger curl of metal under the lower cover. I'm guessing that this sliver of metal must have hitched a ride over from the RV and escaped my notice.

Moral of the story: Keep stuff clean and make sure you really flush all lines before you fly! Also, it may take a little time for the junk to move far enough to cause problems. I would say that you guys with brand new airplanes should not consider yourself out of the woods after your first few flights! Finally, timing is everything! Had this chunk of crud waited another 30 seconds to migrate to the injector, I may have been headline news instead of a casual forum post.

Last edited:
Dirt Dobber

Almost lost a Fly Baby due to Dirt Dobbers in a fuel line! Blow out all lines before the last install and use proper AN caps to keep kritters out.

Has anyone interconnected the vent lines?

Back in the '70's the Cessna Agwagons had interconnected vent lines, so in case a mud dauber blocked one line, the engine would still keep running.

It would be very easy to run an aluminum line from one vent line to the other inside the cockpit of the two-seaters, from the highest points.

I've found that simple blowing on a piece of clear tubing connected to the vents will quickly prove whether the line is open...or not.

Best,

While building (and while disassembled for the new engine installation) I covered all line openings / fittings with painters tape just to keep the dirt and critters out.

Day before yesterday. I was helping a friend of mine replace an injector line on a 540. The line came shrink wrapped from Superior on a cardboard back. When the shrink wrap was cut open he blew on the line and it was plugged. Looking down thru it you couldn't see the blockage. What had happened was a small piece of the clear shrink wrap was stuck down in the line. When it was shrink wrapped the sharp edges of the end of the line cut the shrink wrap and a tiny piece of it ended up inside the line.

Wow...

Day before yesterday. I was helping a friend of mine replace an injector line on a 540. The line came shrink wrapped from Superior on a cardboard back. When the shrink wrap was cut open he blew on the line and it was plugged. Looking down thru it you couldn't see the blockage. What had happened was a small piece of the clear shrink wrap was stuck down in the line. When it was shrink wrapped the sharp edges of the end of the line cut the shrink wrap and a tiny piece of it ended up inside the line.

...and my inserts from Airflow are only .025"...a very small hole.

Best,

blow out-

all lines and if you can, look down them with a lite. Bent tubing is obviously harder, but better than nothing. You'd be surprised what you can get out of tubing and hoses after fabrication.
Tom

interconnected vent lines

I've considered and wondered why this hasn't been done before. I assume if one iced up, they probably both would. But what about an insect or some other foreign object plugging only one vent.

It would be very easy to run a cross tie between the vent lines before the top skin goes on.

Other than some additional weight, can anyone think of a reason not to do this?

Seems like a simple vent, once plugged could bring down an aircraft. What do the commercial/military aircraft do?

Bevan
RV7A wiring

Almost lost a Fly Baby due to Dirt Dobbers in a fuel line! Blow out all lines before the last install and use proper AN caps to keep kritters out.

Funny, it the "dirt/mud daubber" stories that seem so common... Probably why I did not do a complete fuel flow test on my airplane. Anyway, a good reminder that whether it's years between flights or hours, any open fuel system is vulnerable.

"Other than some additional weight, can anyone think of a reason not to do this?"

How about this... You would never know if one line was plugged. Then, if the other one became plugged, unlikely I know, you would experience a quiet engine with no hope of starting again by switching tanks...

This could induce extreme sweating...

You would never know if one line was plugged. Then said:
Good point. Perhaps a valve in the "link between vents" that is normally closed but cold be opened as a checklist item when experiencing a plugged vent line.

Plugged vents are very rare aren't they? I know personally of one RV that came back from the paint shop with paint on the screens of the vents and wansn't noticed for many hours of flying before it started to cause trouble. This was easily preventable.

Bevan

... Perhaps a valve in the "link between vents" that is normally closed but cold be opened as a checklist item...

Be careful you don't complicate things so much that you CAUSE a malfunction. With airplanes, the KISS principle applies- particularly with fuel systems.