sprucemoose

Well Known Member
During one of the many recent safety-focused threads, there was some discussion about the importance of doing a good FWF inspection anytime the hood is open, such as during an oil change. Well, as luck would have it I was doing an oil change yesterday and caught this. This is one of the exhaust hangars from a stock Vetterman system, vintage 2002. This installation has a little over 600 hours on it and this is the first one of these that has broken.

Two things are noteworthy- first, I often give my exhaust pipes a little grab and shake to check for this sort of breakage- in fact I did so while gassing up for the flight before this oil change, and I didn't note any unusual movement, due to the location and nature of how the parts rested together after the break (I moved the parts around to make for a better picture.) Second, it was only about 15 hours since I last looked under the hood and everything was fine at that time, so this happened in a short period of time.

226548_1873488489227_1601637206_31938238_4729105_n.jpg

I had almost the exact same break last fall - at least it is an easy fix Jeff - Vetterman says he has a box of those things....

Paul

During one of the many recent safety-focused threads, there was some discussion about the importance of doing a good FWF inspection anytime the hood is open, such as during an oil change. Well, as luck would have it I was doing an oil change yesterday and caught this. This is one of the exhaust hangars from a stock Vetterman system, vintage 2002. This installation has a little over 600 hours on it and this is the first one of these that has broken.[/IMG]

Jeff,

I've had 2-3 breakages over the past 13 years. I carry a length of 3/8" automotive brake line in the plane (and keep some in the hangar) so a new support can be quickly made if necessary. I asked Larry Vetterman about these pieces many years ago and he told me the brake line is a "factory approved" ;) replacement.

When you make the new part, squeeze the flat into the tube "progressively" so there is a gentle transition from round to flat. This will reduce the tendency for stress fracture.

Last edited:
Use stainless

I"ve had to repair mine a couple of times (same problem..brakes at the bend)......Finally made a set out of stainless tubing....problem solved..

I haven't had time to go back and fix this since I found it on Saturday. I was planning to make a new piece out of some 3/8 .035 4130 tubing scrap. It's easy to heat and form the flat part, and I think it might be more durable in the long run than the thin stainless. Has anyone else ever tried this, and what were the results?

When you make the new part, squeeze the flat into the tube "progressively" so there is a gentle transition from round to flat. This will reduce the tendency for stress fracture.

Plus, before you squeeze the tube (like above) fill the last 2 inches with RTV.

I used a little larger diameter and thicker-walled 4130 tube and did NOT crush the ends flat. I just drilled through them and they seem to last a lot longer. Hopefully they will not need replacing, or break at the most inopportune time.

Vic

i made mine out of solid steel rod of the same diameter. flattened the ends with a bfh. i dought they will ever break again. i also replaced the rubber hoses with stronger ones with stainless reinforcement. viola.