SvingenB

Well Known Member
My kit is arriving tomorrow (at last, 4 months since i ordered :) ). My shop is getting in order, and i got the compressor now (thanks for the tips). But there is one more thing: a work bench or table. I'm not quite sure if that is needed for the actual building of the airframe, but i need a table anyway for grinders and stuff (well, the sort of tools you mount on the table, i'm not sure what they are all called in english).

I plan to use one of the short walls for this, that wall is 3.5 m (11.5 feet). If i mount some tools at the ends, i will have at least 2.5 to 3 m left. Will this be enough? Would it be better to have a dedicated table for any airframe construction jobs?

Thanks

Especially for building control surfaces, a large, very flat, table is very useful. Mine is currently about 7 feet long, 3 feet wide (I think).

My workbench for the majority of building a an old solid-core hotel door (3'x7' or thereabouts) fastened to the wall on one long edge and standing on PVC legs on the outside corners. Worked pretty well. (Of course, other horizontal surface in the workshop (table saw, toolbox, etc) all got used at some point!

Add Banquet Tables

My main tables were stout, one bigger (3x7) with a big vice at one end, drawers for rivets and screws, etc. The other was about (2.5X6) with the grinder, beltsander, small band saw sitting on it.

The most flexible were the two foldable banquet tables, standard size. They had steel underframes, partical board top, and brown wood grain plastic for beauty. They were old and surprisingly flat. I drilled right into them (some of the prettiest hole patters you ever saw), clamped stuff down, put the wings on top for mating, moved them around all over the place. Put them end to end for spar work, put them side by side for all kinds of work. Good place for drawings, just pull one up to your work area. I used them about every day.

I now use them in my hangar. If I started building again, I would have to find a couple more.

Just some thoughts.
Regards,
John.

Ironflight said:
My workbench for the majority of building a an old solid-core hotel door (3'x7' or thereabouts) fastened to the wall on one long edge and standing on PVC legs on the outside corners. Worked pretty well. (Of course, other horizontal surface in the workshop (table saw, toolbox, etc) all got used at some point!
Ahh. I have a spare door. It is not solid core, but 100 % flat and very sturdy, basicly a wooden frame with plywood faces. It should probably do just fine.

Like Jim King, I built EAA tables - though slightly modified. Details in my log.