pilot28906

Well Known Member
I have read much on this web site about primers and have yet another question. I know Van's uses SW P60G2 w/ R7K44 reducer, but would like to know if SW E2G973 Wash primer might be a bit better? Does anyone use this? If so, what type of prep did you do? Also, does the E2G973 have a second part?

Thanks,

John
Murphy, NC

I've been using E2G973 for over 25 years and it works great. I think that the reducer is R7K44, but I'll have to go out to the shop later today to confirm.
Nope, sorry the reducer is R7K242.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks Mel. After reading much on priming I think I will go with the SW E2G973 wash primer. What kind of prep do you do? Clean with MEK, scuff, etc.? Do you use a spray gun and why is it called a wash primer? Sorry for all the newbie questions.

Thanks in advance.

John

Clean with lacquer thinner, clean with soap & water, scuff with scotchbrite, clean with soap & water, dry and shoot. Actually the etch is so good, you can bypass the scuff, but I usually do it anyway. 2 VERY light cross coats. If you can see the difference by comparing to bare aluminum, you have enough. I usually shoot with an 8oz touch-up gun. Be sure you clean before scuffing. The aluminum will have oils on it from handling. If you scuff first, it will grind the oils into the aluminum.

I cleaned with MEK (I found that the local brand of Lacquer thinner left a film) and shot the primer without scuffing.

Sticks extremely well, no flaking off. In my opinion, it's easier to use than rattle can primer because you can skip the scuffing.

BTW, the directions do not require scuffing or sanding... this stuff is sure easy to use.

Hi Lorne. I got mine from Sherwin Automotive.

The nearest one for you is in Kelowna. I'm sure that they would ship it to Oliver if you ask. You can probably get by with a 1 gallon kit, just lay it on in a thin coat. You need to buy the part B as well (the acid catalyst).

Although you haven't asked, I also use Tremclad light grey rust paint for various bits and pieces. It's very close to the Seattle Grey that is used on the Van's powder coat. You spray it on cleaned and scuffed aluminum and it sticks really well... but needs a day to harden. It gives a semi-gloss finish coat.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I think I will go with the SW wash primer route. Is the Tremclad also a SW product?

John

SW Wash Primer

Great stuff as a base coat, but provides little or no corrosion protection. That was fine for me, and I used it everwhere. Not sure I would prime again except for what I was going to paint.
Scotch bright scuff then clean with a good degreaser.

Wash Primer

I think the E2G973 is a little different than the wash primer used by Van's. I think I read the E2G973 is vinyl and does provide some corrosion resistance. Someone let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks,
John