snoopyflys

Well Known Member
Before closing up the left wing of -7a, I thought it would be easier to wire up my Dynon Heated Pitot/AOA now rather than later because of easier access. Seemed to be a pretty straight forward task; cutting, drilling, and dimpling the wing skin for mounting the mast, fitting, drilling and taping screw holes in the pitot/AOA for installing on the mast, mounting the controller unit, etc. No biggie. Then came wiring. Since this is my first wiring attempt on the airplane :eek:, it seemed to be a fairly straight forward task. Connecting the controller to the heater wires and the controller to the power source and “idiot” light is not a problem, determining how to secure the wires in an acceptable manner is proving to be daunting task for me to say the least.

I have the mounted the controller on the inboard side of the rib closest to the outboard inspection port. The mast (SafeAir) is installed on the outboard side of the same rib. The wires from the controller to the pitot/AOA are long enough but when connected together there's a lot (18 inches or so) of slack for creating service loops, which seems to be a desirable thing to have. The AC indicates the specific techniques and standards, but no real-life application examples.

So, to help me better visualize the possibilities for solving my current issue, would there be any fellow builders out there that would be willing to share their solution? I know there are multiple ways of solving it, I would just like get some feedback from others on how they solved a similar issue.

Thanks for reading my ramble.

View of the Pitot/AOA to heater controller wiring solution
DSC_0794.JPG

View of the heater controller installation (not wired for power, yet.)
DSC_0795.JPG

Last edited:
It's settled then...

I'll stay with my solution. I figure since are no moving parts in this bay (pics posted previously) I should be good with the tie-wraps around the conduit. This still leaves the service loops available in case I need to remove the controller or pitot/AOA. Hopefully it will pass inspection. :rolleyes:

I don't see any problem with your setup, everything looks protected from chafing and secured.

"Idiot Light"

Dan,

Please elaborate on the comment "idiot light" in reference to the Pitot heat... Does a normal installation for Pitot heat require or suggest a light for something? Or, have you added a light to the system for a particular purpose?

Thanx.

Victor

could be tough to disconnect later...

The insulated spade connectors are nearly impossible to disconnect one handed... you have lots of zip ties and a pretty short service length to work with if you need to disconnect later through the access hole... you will need to make a nearly blind reach to snip the many ties being very careful not to nip a wire in the process to get some length to try to get a couple of hands on the spade connectors to disconnect. Very tight. A molex connection would be much easier to get to with one hand without having to remove the zip ties.

One of the great benefits of wiring it later is that the limited access forces you to consider the limited access with your wiring and connections. As long as the wiring works it will likely be fine forever but service access could be made easier. Be cautious of using zip ties where you have such limited view and access to cut them later.