vic syracuse

Well Known Member
]A VAN'S RV-7A kit that is! N84VC, SN#71248 took to the sky tonight for an uneventful first flight. I will get Carol to post pictures tomorrow, but for those of you who are wondering here are some numbers:

New VAN's O-360-A1A engine sent to Barrett for porting, balancing, flow matching, 9:1 piston. Dynoed at 189. Performed wonderfully tonight! Thanks Allan and Rhonda!!!

Max temps were 420 on climb out to 3200' (field altitude 840'). Oil temp max during the entire 55 minute flight at full throttle and 2500 rpm was 191 with OAT of 85F at takeoff. Fuel flow was 14-15 gph, almost 20 gph at takeoff power, and I was at high power to set the rings. I did check 23" and 2370 and that was 9.6gph swinging an MT 3-blade. Very pleased with the oil temp. I did the firewall mounted oil cooler (having done that before on a 6 with great resuts, 3" scat tube with the flipper valve for cold weather ops). TAS was 162 knots at 3000' (DA 4000).

As luck would have it , Mark Strahler who now owns my 6 with a O-360 A1A came flying by when I was up on the test flight. We built that one with a van's engine and it now has about 800 hours and a Hartzell 2 blade) and he could not keep up with me when I was at 25" and 2600 rpm), so I am not seeing any speed loss with the MT 3-blade. This is just a first flight, so let's not draw any conclusions. Our indicated speed did match, and we have both had the required pitot/static calibrations.

Takeoff and landing felt very comfortable. Picture perfect landing (if I must say so myself, but there are pictures to prove it!). I did change the nosewheel to the Grove nosewheel, as I do not like the friction of the Matco, and I fly off of a grass strip). Taxi and landing felt very stable, much like the 10.
I am very excited to be flying again!!! 1100 build hours since last Septemter, mostly 25 hour week ends, so we are VERY tired and looking forward to flying again. The plan is to make OSH.
For those of you who remember my panel from the 10, it is exactly the same in the 7A---dual Cheltons, Garmin 430, Dynon, Sorcerer, SL-30. It made the first flight less complicated! I understood all of the avionics.

Carol pointed out that if you look real closely at the landing picture, there is an RV grin you can make out in the nose cowling on the airiplane. Must have been the lighting, but I think the airplane is happy to be flying, too!
These are really great airplanes, but of course all of you know that already! That's why you are on this list!

Vic

Last edited:
I thought this was another nosewheel thread... maybe consider a less ambiguous thread title :eek:. Congrats.

Sorry. I had Queen playing in the hangar while I was doing the reassembly after the inspection, and "another one bites the dust" had a new meaning.

I've changed it.

Vic

Congrats Vic !!!!

Your -10 was beautiful (saw it about two weeks ago at the pump in Bridgeport, TX) so I know your -7A will be awesome also.

Wishing thousands of safe, happy flights,
d

Vic,
Your a building animal. Whats this your 6th airplane you have built?
Suprised you built the sissy wheel after the 4 & 6 time you have.
Guess your getting older:)

Congrats. Maybe see you back out with us one day.
Best,

Kahuna, I am looking forward to flying form again! I built the n/w because I picked this one up from a person on the North side who had already started it, and he had the gear leg sockets in already.
This is actually number 7. Need to take a break for a while. 1100 hours since September on week ends only has been a lot of work!

Vic

Congratulations Vic!!

Huge Congratulations from us!! Sounds like an excellent first flight. Will look forward to seeing you at OSH. Knots up! Rhonda

Good job

That is really making time!! 1100 hours since September!!! I also got bit by the bug and my next project arrives Friday. Can't wait to get into that. This one should go quicker since I have a little more knowledge and "experience" from the first one. It is a 7 slider. Current is a 7 Tip up. Even in the short 2.5 years I've been flying mine, the change in avionics has been significant.

I also plan to have Barrett build a fire breather for me.

Vic,
Ya done good. It's the SECOND nicest -7A I've ever seen. ;)
Not bad for a kid that used to live in Brunstucky, Ohio
Give my best to your "daughter" Carol.
See you at OSH.

Bernie Ockuly
Strongsville, Ohio
RV7A ( "A" for Advanced )
N914E, 475 hrs, 1,015 landings, 895 rolls, since 9/11/05
L.G.I.T.W. :)

Congratulations, again! I would be interested in the amount of hoop jumping that the FAA folks made you jump through since you said this would be a group inspection.

I don't know if we can let you camp with us 10 folks any more since you deserted us. LOL

See you at OSH

Gary Specketer

Awesome plane Vic. Congrats on a speedy build....... Wow! Would you go across the field and tell Kent to my my -8 up here so I can go flying, LOL?

Gary, the FED's were very thorough in my inspection, but also very complimentary. According to them (3 of them came) it's the first time they weren't able to find something wrong. :)
No complaints on my part.

Vic

I would have expected nothing less from you. It probably says you are the best inspector in the office. Again Congratulations and smooth flying.

Gary Specketer

Congrats, Vic!

Congratulations on the 7th, Vic! I remember sitting in your -4 back in Elyria(?) when we were teaching at Strongsville. I'm sure this one is another fantastic airplane. Hopefully we can hook up at OSH, probably at Bernie's. Lookin' forward to seeing it.

Gary Baker
RV-6 Fuse
Photo Album www.picasaweb.google.com/bakerfamilyenator
VAF #737
Medina, OH

Darn another one Vic!!

Gotta ask, after Van bought up all that yellow paint, did you get a deal on the left over surplus of red and white?:p