Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Friend
FSDO says aircraft must be registered first. Who is the seller, original kit ownwer or Vans ?
Is the original kit starter a co builder ? Is my A&P friend that assembled the Superior EXP engine a co builder ?
Do you mail these documents to OKC ? Is there a reference to answer these questions?
The government is here to help you ??

FSDO says aircraft must be registered first. Who is the seller, original kit ownwer or Vans ?
Is the original kit starter a co builder ? Is my A&P friend that assembled the Superior EXP engine a co builder ?
Do you mail these documents to OKC ? Is there a reference to answer these questions?
The government is here to help you ??
Buy the registration kit from eaa. Plain English instructions, Samples of all forms required in chronological order with arrows and notes saying “sign here” etc.

It will walk you through the process without hassle and is well worth the $20

I agree that the EAA kit is worthwhile, but it may not answer your specific questions….

The FAA wants an “ownership trail”, so the original owner/builder should have a bill of sale from van’s to him, then shoudl have given you one from him to you. You can check with Van’s to see if they ever issued one to the original owner, and if not, see what they need you to do to issue one to you….

No need to list the original owner/builder as a Co-Builder from a registration standpoint - they may not want to have their name on the paperwork for liability reasons. You can list anyone that helped if you want, but that isn’t necessary. Just because you know the guy that built your engine doesn;t make him a co-builder….I don’t know the name of the guys near Prague that built my jet engine….they are just “the factory”…..

Paul

I agree that the EAA kit is worthwhile, but it may not answer your specific questions….

The FAA wants an “ownership trail”, so the original owner/builder should have a bill of sale from van’s to him, then shoudl have given you one from him to you. You can check with Van’s to see if they ever issued one to the original owner, and if not, see what they need you to do to issue one to you….

No need to list the original owner/builder as a Co-Builder from a registration standpoint - they may not want to have their name on the paperwork for liability reasons. You can list anyone that helped if you want, but that isn’t necessary. Just because you know the guy that built your engine doesn;t make him a co-builder….I don’t know the name of the guys near Prague that built my jet engine….they are just “the factory”…..

Paul
I am executing the 8050-1 registration. FSDO agrees that Vans document that acknowledges I am the owner of a kit serial number is all thats required. iE, I am the only named owner trail on form 8050-1. Correct ?
similarly, FSDO refers to “majority” of build is defined as 51% of builder effort not including kit manufacturer, Vans. They challenge that finishing a kit with tail and wings complete may not constitute 51% and offer a -8 worksheet that weieghts contribution by component/step completed. Not arguing with them, this was just big surprise compared to FSDO experience in a neighboring state on my RV3 🤔

I am executing the 8050-1 registration. FSDO agrees that Vans document that acknowledges I am the owner of a kit serial number is all thats required. iE, I am the only named owner trail on form 8050-1. Correct ?
similarly, FSDO refers to “majority” of build is defined as 51% of builder effort not including kit manufacturer, Vans. They challenge that finishing a kit with tail and wings complete may not constitute 51% and offer a -8 worksheet that weieghts contribution by component/step completed. Not arguing with them, this was just big surprise compared to FSDO experience in a neighboring state on my RV3 🤔
Larry - remember that YOU (as the finishing builder) don’t have to have done 51% of the work. The requirement is that 51% of the work be done by amateurs for the purposes of education and recreation. Not all FSDO ASI’s understand this….

On a similar note and a warning to others, I purchased an 8 project that was about 60% complete from the widow of a builder. I did not know about the requirement to provide the original bill of sale from from Vans and did not demand it as a condition of purchase. Now the widow can’t find it in her deceased husband’s papers and Vans is refusing to issue a second bill of sale. It should get worked out somehow but way more headaches than I was expecting.
Greg Beckner
RV8 canopy in progress😒
RV14 50% complete but in storage waiting on Vans and Lycoming
RV14A built, flown and sold in 2019

On a similar note and a warning to others, I purchased an 8 project that was about 60% complete from the widow of a builder. I did not know about the requirement to provide the original bill of sale from from Vans and did not demand it as a condition of purchase. Now the widow can’t find it in her deceased husband’s papers and Vans is refusing to issue a second bill of sale. It should get worked out somehow but way more headaches than I was expecting.
Greg Beckner
RV8 canopy in progress😒
RV14 50% complete but in storage waiting on Vans and Lycoming
RV14A built, flown and sold in 2019

I agree - I can’t express how important it is for everyone considering purchasing a previously owned airplane kit to make the original purchase agreement from the factory to the first owner AND every other owner to the current owner a condition of purchase. If you don’t have this, it will take many months, many registered letters, phone calls and begging to fix the mess, and no guarantee that you can actually fix it. It took a year to get my registration straightened out.

I agree - I can’t express how important it is for everyone considering purchasing a previously owned airplane kit to make the original purchase agreement from the factory to the first owner AND every other owner to the current owner a condition of purchase. If you don’t have this, it will take many months, many registered letters, phone calls and begging to fix the mess, and no guarantee that you can actually fix it. It took a year to get my registration straightened out.
This perspective is yet different from the direction my FSDO Rep. The original builder gave me a Bill of Sale to authorize Vans to transfer ownership of the kit serial number to me, for the purpose of buying FWF hardware etc. FSDO said I only need that one notorized document from Vans to submit for registry. What say you all ?

This perspective is yet different from the direction my FSDO Rep. The original builder gave me a Bill of Sale to authorize Vans to transfer ownership of the kit serial number to me, for the purpose of buying FWF hardware etc. FSDO said I only need that one notorized document from Vans to submit for registry. What say you all ?
Well your FSDO ASI clearly has an opinion, but it’s going to be the registration folks in OKC that will be the ones to decide - and the only way to know is to send it in or ask…..