danielhv

Well Known Member
I was riveting the VS spar tonite, and got all the way down to the bottom... Along the bottom there are several flush rivets. The plans call for AN426AD4-6's on the spar and AN426AD4-7's in the spots where the hinges attach... problem is I ran the -7's where some of the -6's should have been. The -7's on the hinges are fine. But am I ok leaving the -7's where the -6's should have gone?

-7s

If the shop heads look good (ie: not tipped over, adequate diameter, etc, I would leave them. It won't hurt to have some extra height on the shop heads.

Last edited:
I was riveting the VS spar tonite, and got all the way down to the bottom... Along the bottom there are several flush rivets. The plans call for AN426AD4-6's on the spar and AN426AD4-7's in the spots where the hinges attach... problem is I ran the -7's where some of the -6's should have been. The -7's on the hinges are fine. But am I ok leaving the -7's where the -6's should have gone?

As long as the shop heads look OK, the only problem is the extra weight, which may keep you from passing Bob Axsom.

Seriously, the only problem with rivets too long is the the shop heads tend to "fall over" if your technique is less than perfect. Too short may be a problem, but not too long.

You'll find that many of the call outs on the plans are a size short (at least I did, and several of my friends). You'll also find that if your hole isn't quite perfect (maybe you drilled out a rivet) adding a little length will give you enough extra material to fill the hole.

After a few hundred (or thousand) rivets, you'll get a feel for what looks right as far as the amount of rivet showing before bucking, and adjust accordingly without worrying about it.