BlackRV7

Well Known Member
I've held off posting the specifics on how I am "assembling" my engine but since I've got 8 boxes delivered yesterday here goes:

I looked around ebay, bid on one, checked with the various Lyclones, checked with the salvage yards, checked with the "basement builders" then found the guy I bought from. I liked the Lyclones but by the time I bought a C/S prop I was going to 7-8K over what I wanted to spend. The salvage yards, Wentworth in particular, offered a guarantee on the crank and case. I however would have to tear the engine down then put it back together. Hum. The basement builders route was an experience. It went all the way from, "Nope don't know what the designation is, it was built in Romania......they do great work there", "You know this is not certified, you know how much it costs to have all those internal parts brought to spec", to "been sitting here for 5 years so it should be just as good as it was when I tucked it away in the garage". I decided I would have to disassemble the engines so why not start with a disassembled one anyway. I have built up two engines already, so sorry you A & Ps, with a few special tools it "ain't" rocket science. If you can build an RV, it is my opinion you can build an engine up.

So..I ended up going with Doug Works in Tulsa 1 918 313 5487. Doug is a concrete contractor who does engines on the side. He does not build them but accumulates the parts you want in any configuration you desire. I am getting from him the total package including prop. Case is back from the shop, crank ended up going to ECI and came back .003, I'll take that, NEW Titan ECI cylinders, pistons and works, sump, tubes, remanufactured MA 4 5 model 10 5193 carb (fits O 360 A!A) , new slick 4370, 4373 mags, harness, prop gov., alternator, newer style overhauled prop hub and 7776 blades, cam, yellow tagged tappets, gears, rockers,......the works. I choose to have Doug pull together the entire package which is above what his "standard" package is so my cost would not be a comparative number, but I am so under what I would have spent on a Lyclone...AND...under, with the prop included, of what I was going to spend on a basement builder. I will say the standard price is set. Give him a call and at least talk to him 1 918 313 5487.

Doug has been very, very forthright in calling, asking questions, getting approval on overhauls and the likes. He has done what he said he would do and more importantly WHEN he said he would do it. When I get back from SNF (leaving within the hour), I am gong to start an engine assembly page on my website to show........and be told what I am doing wrong.......but I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what you get, I am beyond merely satisfied with what I have.

Dana Overall
Richmond, KY i39
RV-7 slider, Imron black, "Black Magic"
O 360 A1A, C/S C2YK-1BF/F7666A4
http://rvflying.tripod.com/id30.html
do not archive

Homebuilt rebuild

I couldn't agree more..........if you can build the airplane, you can build the engine. We bought an engine that sat in a corner for 10 years, disassembled it and found some scoring on the crank so we had it turned .003 under and added new bearings, had the cam and lifters certified and cleaned up and we installed new rings and did a homegrown valve job, all for under $12,500. Yesterday, the kitten was purring at 7500 feet and 2700 RPM behind Mr. Catto's three blade while we smugly smiled at the scattered cumulus below and truing 202 MPH !!! YAAAAY!
Pierre
RV6A "Sojourner" 0-360, 73 hours TT