RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
For those of you using the ipad, what's the opinion on the amount of memory we need for using this as a chart book.. I don't do music, have an iphone and don't do a lot of videos..
my question is, is the 16MB unit good enough to use with foreflight or some other charting apps or should I spring the extra 100 bucks for the 32gig..

Also, what about the 3G..I know it had the GPS internally and I use 3g on the iphone, but do you all without the 3g really wish you had it? I'm aware of the external GPS units that bluetooth with it and how those work. Just considering what unit to get.

Last edited:
According to ForeFlight, you can load the entire country, VFR and IFR, and all approach plates onto a 16gb iPad with plenty of room left over for your music and other apps.

I personally think the 3G is a must. I'd rather not mess around with a "dongle" and my iPad 3G has never missed a beat in tracking me.

My 32 gb 3G version has 21.5 gb free at the moment.

I don't use it for photos, music or videos. Just books, email, internet and apps, including SkyCharts Pro, which is a gem. I've got all the charts and data except Alaska and the islands.

I used to have Foreflight, but prefer SkyCharts. Easier to use and better map images. Give it a try.

Also, the best weather imaging is the VAF WX page, check it out.

Dave

Last edited:
16 is enough

I have the 16GB with foreflight and the western half of the country cached.
About 200 songs, a couple hundred pictures and have 8 GB left. The nice thing
about the iTunes/iPad set up is you can manage memory. You can add, remove,
then add back again. Movies are what take up lots of memory.
Movies are 1.5 to 2.0 GB of memory. I don't have any on my iPad. 16GB is
plenty, but that said, if I were to do it agian, I would by the 32GB version.
Also, I would spring for the 3G version. The internal gps works fine (I have
the bad elf gps, but don't use it) after it finds itself. I open foreflight in the
runup area before flying and leave the unit on the entire flight with no issues.

I've got the entire country worth of charts and airport info with no problems.

As for 3G, I paid the premium when I got mine because I wanted the internal GPS. I don't actually have a 3G plan for the thing... didn't feel like tacking on another monthly bill for something I wouldn't really use all that often.

Right now, the difference in cost for a 16GB wifi vs 3G is $130. A Bad Elf unit is $99, and supposedly is more accurate than the internal GPS. (I've not tried it, so I can't speak to the relative accuracy) It seems to me that if you're only considering a 3G model for the internal GPS, like me, it would be more cost-efficient to get the wifi model and a Bad Elf.

With that said, I've had no problems with losing a fix in-flight, and that includes accidentally exiting Foreflight a few times. The only time I haven't been able to get a fix was when I tried it out in the back of a 717. :)

EDIT: Checked free space on the iPad just now, and with all the aforementioned charts plus a fair number of applications and documents (including an Archer POH and repair manual for my car), I'm barely using half of the 16GB capacity.

Last edited:
I've got the entire country worth of charts and airport info with no problems.

As for 3G, I paid the premium when I got mine because I wanted the internal GPS. I don't actually have a 3G plan for the thing... didn't feel like tacking on another monthly bill for something I wouldn't really use all that often.

Right now, the difference in cost for a 16GB wifi vs 3G is $130. A Bad Elf unit is $99, and supposedly is more accurate than the internal GPS. (I've not tried it, so I can't speak to the relative accuracy) It seems to me that if you're only considering a 3G model for the internal GPS, like me, it would be more cost-efficient to get the wifi model and a Bad Elf.

With that said, I've had no problems with losing a fix in-flight, and that includes accidentally exiting Foreflight a few times. The only time I haven't been able to get a fix was when I tried it out in the back of a 717. :)

--- snip ---

Sounds like me. I went with the 3G to get the GPS. Yes it is $30 more than the Bad Elf setup but it is one less part to lose and BREAK off. My biggest fear was that I would BREAK the Bad Elf off with rough handling in Turbulence.

I just got back from California.

I used my 32Gig iPad on this trip to California and back as my laptop (they now have wifi on US Air), weather guide and news with the Drudgereport loaded and the daily Augusta Chronicle (hometown newspaper).

I also have Kindle loaded with 4 books, a diet program and SkychartsPro.

So far, I've used less than 6 Gig for all that! I don't have the 3G version since I already have two moving map Gps's...a 496 and a 430W.

16 Gig ought to be plenty, but I didn't know that at the time.

Best,