Status
Not open for further replies.

David Paule

Well Known Member
I have been using Imagebam.com to back up my images in my RV-3B blog, with Tinypic.com as the main host. I figured that with two sites, I'd have a chance of having at least one remain active.

Today I saw this message on Imagebam.com:

"We?d like to inform you that we will be shutting down services on June 30th, 2017. Please download and backup your files before this date."

On a personal basis this won't have any impact - I store all my images on my computer and they are only referenced as back-ups in the blog.

Does anyone know of an additional reliable, easy-to-use photo hosting site that facilitates easy uploading to VAF?

Dave

Photo site shut down

I recently found myself in the same position as I was informed by my image host Phanfare that it would be shut down. They recommended that I transfer all my images to SmugMug.com which I subsequently did.

After some early "growing pains" learning the new site I have become quite familiar and now like it, I also found it fairly easy to upload photos to this forum.

Scott Schmidt has a thread here on VAF on how to use SmugMug to upload images to VAF.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=286734

When Picasa (free) shutdown I switched to Flickr (also free). However, the only reason I use it is so I can post pics to Forums like this one.

Last edited:
Photobucket, although the free service is plastered with ads and popups making it very slow to accomplish your task. You get what you pay for...

IMGUR is free and AFAIK, no popup ads. It also provides for different size photos with a direct link to pop into the forum image tool.

I switched to flickr after I realized tinypic was unreliable. It is a little less intuitive at first but once set up it is a breeze.

I decided to just pay up. I'm now using an AWS S3 bucket with scripts that make it silly easy.

Sure is frustrating to go back and find post you have made now have the pics missing. I can't imagine how frustrating that is to the new guys on the forum...

Tinypic is now deleting pics that do not see much traffic. I have been using it for years so many of mine are being deleted.

Bummer!

[ed. It seems another of the thousands of ‘free’ image hosting sites has decided to close shop. Most ‘free’ things eventually do.

Every time this happens, a few folks wonder why I don’t host images on this site. I’ve discussed this in great detail at:
http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/ImagesInForums/images.htm . Maybe it would be a good idea to read that page if you haven’t.

Summarizing: A) I don’t have the money to do it and B) even if I did, I don’t want to be responsible for the pictures of over 23,000 people.
I’m going to go ahead and close this thread.

v/r,
dr

PS: I pay $4/mo for a SmugMug account. I also keep copies on my home computer just in case. ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.