videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
This is a great Leap of Faith, bigger than I took all those years ago when I ordered my 9 emp kit. It is something I have pushed for for about three years now, and it is happening. I am excited.

About six weeks ago, I got a call from Andy Doboze, Engineering teacher at Jennings County High School, North Vernon, Indiana. He knew I had been trying to organize a HS age RV-12 build, and he was ready. Scary. Last year I had a buyer for a 12 kit willing to have it built in another school, but they backed out. "Lack of space," was the reason. Uh-huh;)

So, dig up tools, money, and people, all in the space of a couple of weeks. To this point, I have some of each, but not enough. But it is going, and it looks like it will continue. The kids are great, very enthused and very bright. Most of them have had Young Eagles flights, and several want to get their PPL. There are twelve of them. Volunteer mentors are coming on board, some even from outside our EAA Chapter. When we outgrow the school facility, it looks like we will have free heated space at OVO.

We are working on five Van's practice kits, building the skills before we get into the expensive stuff. I am in a bigger learning curve than the students are, figuring out how best to put across the proper procedures that seem so obvious to me. Thankfully, they catch on quickly. And since they are using my tools, they are learning a whole lot about sharing! Tools are our biggest need, and we need them quickly. We have a quote for just short of $1700 that will give us all we need. We are looking for sponsors for tools and supplies and hope to find a buyer who wants a well-built RV-12 for the cost of the kit. We will listen to anyone interested, but really want someone living near enough to south-central Indiana to keep an eye on the build. If the Oregon Teen Build project can be used as a guide, it should take 1 1/2 years.Two school years is probably more likely.

I hope to work up a series of PowerPoint presentations that will be helpful to other schools doing this sort of thing. Actually I would rather use video, but we will see. This is actually a pilot project for other schools with engineering programs. We expect a bit of coverage as we go.

We are calling this the "Eagle's Nest Project," although that name may change. We have a donated KitLog (Thanks, Matt!) that will make the project easy to follow, and I plan on having one member of the group (or maybe more) join VAF. I know you will welcome him/her. I hope this will be fun for us all. There are too few of us below the age of--well never mind, you know what I mean. We need kids active in aviation.

So, bottom line. If you are close and would like to mentor, even one time, let me know. If you would like to donate to the cause, I can send you the contact info (goes to the school as designated funds.) If you would like an RV-12 in early 2012 (at kit cost,) I REALLY would like to talk to you. We may even be able to have it painted, but that is still a question. Tools/supplies are donation only, but if we don't find a buyer quickly, sub-kits can be on a loan basis, until the plane is sold. I will underwrite the first kit if necessary.

Wish me luck. It is time to give a little back...

Bob Kelly

I will Donate!

GAHco will donate a reference book to each student, once you have an official number for the class.

I may be able to help with some sample bags of hardware, although it should not be to much that you would need, as the kit should have almost all of what is needed.

I can definitely donate Drill bits, I have lots of those.

Keep me posted on your requirements and we will help when we can.

Lets step up to the plate ladies and gents, this is the future aviation generation, these are the type of people that will soon be helping preserve our aviation privileges!:cool:

Thanks, Tom! This is the truth, I swear. The first day we met as a group, I took one reference book. Guess which one? Yours is the best!

I believe the number will be twelve, but I will get that firm ASAP.

Bob

My standard forum signature say's it best

Keep me posted.................................

Bob, how about a paypal account for monetary donations? We could have an old fashion barn raising to get those funds to buy the tools........after this build donate the tools to the next project.

for kids, I'm in.

EDIT: oops, just saw the piece about contact info for the school. send me the info

Sorry, there is no PayPal! The Indiana Auditor doesn't approve. Funds (for tools and such) must go through the school. If someone is buying a kit, that is another story. Checks should go to:

Jennings Co. High School
800 W. Walnut
North Vernon, IN 47265

They should be made out to:
Jennings Co. High School, Industrial Arts Acct.
Include a note that this is for the aircraft project, just so they will know there is support from outside this area.

PLEASE send me a PM letting me the amount as I want to make sure these make it to where they are supposed to go.

Thanks in advance. I am encouraged, not only by the response here, but locally. I will make sure that VAF gets mentioned in media coverage.

Bob

Awesome!

Hey Bob,
It is great to see another kit started at the high school level! I am currently working on my principal and district to allow us to to do the same. The hitch has become the liability, however, I have been looking into generating an LLC and doing everything from purchasing to selling through that entity. I'm sure some legal types will know more about this or give some ideas.

My principal is on board to turn our wood shop into a hanger of sorts...lots of hoops to jump through. Keep us posted as we are rooting for the team! I have an aviation club and we also just had 10 kids do their Young Eagles Flight. Was a great time.
Dan B
Mesa, AZ

Wish list?

Bob,

I don't know what is needed to build a 12, I'm a 7 builder, but would be willing to donate things that would get you going. Do you have a wish list? Are cash donations deductible? Any tax experts out there?

Tax deductible? I'll check (I shoulda done that aready!) I'll call the school tomorrow and post it here. It may not be until afternoon as I am spending the day with Aluminum Overcast at Bloomington, IN. Actually four days there, doing a book signing. I'll do it as soon as I can.

And a big thanks for all the donations so far. We are getting close on the tools, and that is what I was most worried about. Still need about $400 more, but will be able to order soon. Some of the other items aren't as pressing.

Other good news! We have a local company willing to purchase sub-kits (we will work out details in a few days) until a buyer can be found. Also, the school is building a storage building for the project. This is the kind of cooperation I could only dream of!

Bob Kelly

Yes, donations are tax deductible. Request a statement when you send the check and give your address.

Have just spent the day watching Aluminum Overcast come into Bloomington, IN and had a great time with all the WWII vets that showed up. Heading to the build class...

Bob

Thanks for the donations!

For those of you who donated, form letters from the school are on their way that are good for the IRS. Also, I watched during the beginning of today's session as kids signed "Thank You" notes to go with them. They are really appreciative, as am I. We are $330 dollars short of ordering the tools, and have donations for other things, also. I think we will have enough by Monday. We are getting by with what we have, so far.

Next week a member of the class will be joining VAF, and I hope the kids will have a website soon. I'm sure you will welcome him!

BTW, getting left seat time in Aluminum Overcast this week made me know once again how a Young Eagle feels. Or what it was like to fly my 9A for the first time!

Bob

Last edited:
Update:

First, thanks for all your donations! The tool order goes out today, and that is due to the generosity of VAF members. Avery put together a nice package and I believe it is going to work out really well for the group. Thanks, Avery, for the nice discount.

Some of the other things that have happened (besides getting PIC time in Aluminum Overcast!): One of the members (Kevin Shaffer) is now a member of VAF. We have commitments on purchasing several of the sub-kits. Four of the team members are now ready to tackle the airplane, and other members are getting close to the skill level needed. Another teacher has joined the group. We have more volunteer mentors. We have a set of plans in-hand (thanks, Van's!) The school has agreed to build a storage building just for the plane while we build. GAHco is donating reference books and needed supplies. Several local companies are considering other donations. The local newspaper is going to do a preliminary story. Sport Aviation is interested in doing a story about the build. Another school is interested in at least doing practice kits. We expect to order the first kits before Christmas. There may be some other things that I have forgotten, but all in all, things are going well.

We still need donations for supplies, and we really need someone to agree to purchase the airplane when it is finished. If you would like to purchase a sub-kit and recover the money when the plane is sold, that is possible. We may have someone locally interested in the plane, but nothing firm so far. This is going to be a "deal" for someone, a finished RV-12 at kit price. We may even be able to get it painted at that price, but that is unsure. If you are interested, we will need to know before we get to the point of deciding on options (AP, lighting, interior color, etc) as that would be the only way to get what you want.

This is really fun. I am involved with a build again and working with some really great kids. The satisfaction level is high, and I doubt if I will drill into my finger this time around!

Bob Kelly

Bob,
It is exciting to see another Teen Flight type program getting off to a great start.
Thanks for taking the lead in your area to get it going. Hopefully there will be a time in the future where this is a common thing all over the country (and maybe world wide).

Another update:

We now have the tools in-house. Thanks again, VAFers! Thanks also to GAHco for donated tools and reference material, also in-house.

Lesson plans (for use in other schools as well as here) are coming along well. The school is putting in a 60 gal. air compressor donated by Lowes. All we need is the 220 wired into the room. We are going to begin two days a week (Thursdays and Saturdays) by mid-month. Having a second day will allow better participation for kids with other outside activities. Thursdays are pretty busy. It is amazing how busy these kids are! JCHS is really into wrestling. The only day without wrestling practice is Christmas.

Still looking for a buyer, although we are getting some nibbles. Anyone interested in trying this at their school, let me know. We are really trying to document what it will take to get this up and running with less effort than we have had to put out.

Bob

Future tool buying builders!

"Avery put together a nice package and I believe it is going to work out really well for the group. Thanks, Avery, for the nice discount."

The sly businessman that Bob is, sees several future builders that will be buying tools!!

7A Fuselage order before Christmas!

First kit on order!

Kit # 120467 is on its way to JCHS. We will be inventorying next week, then the fun begins!

Bob

120467 emp and fastener kits are at the school! They didn't arrive in time to start this year, but inventory is planned for the first Tuesday (Jan 4) and building will then commence. It was no problem to get kids to come out during their vacation time to help unload. You will get a chance to meet some of them at Oshkosh next year. I expect 4 to 6 of them to make the trip. Gotta start packing; time is short...

Bob

Today is the day to start deburring and pounding those rivets! Inventory went well with no parts missing or damaged. The KitLog blog is up at http://www.mykitlog.com/BobKelly/ Everything seems to be falling in place as it should. Stop by often as we will be doing two sessions per week from here on. MANY THANKS to all who have donated to this project!

Bob

Let's chalk that up to typing error. That's a good excuse. Will have that corrected next Tuesday (our next work day) as we are building per LSA spec. Thanks for noticing that. I am not doing the updates on the blog. All that has been turned over to the students.

Bob

Blog updated

We have made quite a bit of progress and added a lot of updates to the blog. I haven't had this much fun since I built the RV-9A. Nah, this is more fun! http://mykitlog.com/bobkelly
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Still For Sale

No buyer yet. We have had a few "tire kickers" and one person seems very interested at the moment. He has e-mailed numerous times and wants to come look at it. He is about 3 hours away by Cessna, so I think he will come up soon. His concern is the time frame. He would like it now, and that can't happen! Waiting is always a problem. We still want to sell it ASAP. I will bet that it goes when the article in Sport Aviation comes out if not before. There will be a forum on student-built RV-12s at Oshkosh also. I am working with Scott McDaniel of Van's of this. Other Eagle's Nest Projects will start next year. Gotta get a 501c3 and website. (Volunteers?) This is off and running!

Initial contact with an aircraft paint shop does look like we may be able to get a one-color paint, plus vinyl trim, for the cost of materials. The kids would do the prep. I like that because they would benefit from the experience. This will make the aircraft an even better value.

After the open house Wednesday night, we now have a slight problem. There are so many students wanting to get into the program next year that we have to figure out how to screen them. I'm not getting into that; the teacher will have to handle that one. But it is a good problem!

Incidentally, how would you liked to have been able to put this on your first job application: High School--"Was Team Leader helping supervise building a two-place all metal aircraft."

The emp kit is 99% complete, and the fuselage kit arrived yesterday. Timing couldn't have been better! The work looks good, the kids are happy (two got to fly today, one in my 9A and one in a 7A,) and I am amazed at how well everything is going. I will get today's log up in a couple days, but it is current through Thursday.

Still looking for a buyer. Time is getting short if you want to be able to chose the options you want Also, I am getting closer to being able to help anyone who is considering doing this at a school near them. The possibilities just keep coming.

Bob

Hello Bob...

Hi Bob, I read your post about building an RV-12 with the Young Eagles with great interest. I have also read several articles in August's edition of the EAA Sport Aviation magazine about high school students building an RV-12 and would like to undertake a similar project at a high school here in New Zealand. My partner has been an aircraft engineer and pilot for 30 years and I myself am a keen flyer of my RV6A.
I would love to know how your project with the Young Eagles is coming along, and any other information, tips or contacts about starting something like this here would be most appreciated.
Thank you so much for your help,
Julja

Julja,

Great to hear there's interest abroad in this program. I'm sure Bob will chime in shortly with answers to all your questions, but in the meantime I have a question for you. Do the regulations in your country permit an RV-12 or any kit built aircraft to be used for hire or in a commercial flight training program?

Hi Bob, I read your post about building an RV-12 with the Young Eagles with great interest. I have also read several articles in August's edition of the EAA Sport Aviation magazine about high school students building an RV-12 and would like to undertake a similar project at a high school here in New Zealand. My partner has been an aircraft engineer and pilot for 30 years and I myself am a keen flyer of my RV6A.
I would love to know how your project with the Young Eagles is coming along, and any other information, tips or contacts about starting something like this here would be most appreciated.
Thank you so much for your help,
Julja
First, visit Ernie's site, RV-1.org and click on News and Events. Also visit mykitlog.com/bobkelly and you can follow along with the Eagle's Nest Project. We are very pleased that Sport Aviation gave us coverage in their most recent edition, also.

As you can see from the RV-1 News, we are no longer alone in attempting to organize building programs for young people. We are joining them in support of all this. From experience I can tell you that we need a central organization to lend credibility and support to this effort. This is a really important step toward making this spread, not only nationally, but internationally, as your interest shows.

In talking with Van and Ernie, we have decided one of the first things we need is an e-mail newsletter that will link those interested and become a collection point for information and ideas. I will be doing that for a while, and if you have any interest in this program, send me your e-mail address by PM.

Much work remains to be done to establish direction for this movement, but Van's Aircraft is solidly behind it and as been for some time. It is too early to talk specifics, but there are real advantages in working together on this. I am personally very encouraged by all I heard at Oshkosh, and by requests like yours, Julja.

Bob

Bob,
Did you find a buyer for the project yet? I am a school teacher in AZ and following your progress. It would be great to see things work out for your team as I'm still thinking about doing the same.