AndyRV7

Well Known Member
I'm still picking my way through the different choices and had another question. My buddy is sending me a Garmin 96 with some dust on it. So I will get my first real hands-on experience this week I hope.:)

But to the question. I've been comparing the usual suspects (Garmin 495/496, Lowrance 2000 (and 1000), Bendix AV8OR, and the Anywhere Map ATC). I'm narrowing down my choice, but one thing I cannot find too much detail about, AND am a little dismayed by is what appears to be a non-standard airspace boundary marking. Can anyone tell me how the airspace is displayed in any of these units? The only one I could find is the AV8OR, which seems to use various thicknesses of, or outlining around, a solid pink line. Not even a dashed line for Delta! I was really disappointed to see this because it meant the year I just spent figuring out how to recognize things on a sectional is no longer going to be valid (at least with the AV8OR). Can anyone shed some light on this? Do all manufacturers use this type of non-standard scheme? Is it disappointing to anyone else?

Just looking for some feedback.

Thanks! Andy

My 496 shows different airspace the same way the sectional does: dashed blue lines for delta, pink lines for charlie, solid blue lines for bravo. It doesn't depict things like E to surface or E to 700agl like the sectional does.

It also de-emphasizes airspaces boundaries that are more than a certain amount of altitude above or below you, and won't affect you.

Thanks! That makes perfect sense to me. I was actually hoping to go with the AV8OR, but for some reason, the airspace thing is really disappointing to me!

On my ATC airspace is shown with red lines and text (ie floors and ceilings). The DC ADIZ and class B 30NM veil are both shown as a red line with purple borders to differentiate it from the other airspace. MOAs are dipicted with heavy blue lines and prohibited/restricted areas are shown with heavy red lines.

Thanks.

I finally got a nice guy at Bendix on the phone. He confimred the pink schema and offered a guess that it was due to the changing color of the terrain awareness information. This is something that may have been apparent to a lot of you, but I've never had my hands on one of these things.

Thanks for the answers though!