pilot2512

Well Known Member
Getting ready to start my fuel tanks and thru all my research on this site I decided to go with Rick Galati's method for sealing the tanks. I also decided to use the pro seal in the tubes 3.5 oz size.

Now for my questions. How many tubes do I need for each tank? I understand that most people are using just under 2 quart cans for both tanks. Van's site says the cans are not full, so actually how much is in a quart can to compare? Are the 3.5 oz tubes really 3.5 oz too?

Thanks,

I am going to suggest you go ahead and use the quart container instead of the tubes. You are going to use quite a bit of sealant for this job. The quart container allows you to mix up small batches at a time as needed. Once you get started you are going to find that working with the sealant is not as bad as you envision.

If you are concerned about mixing the sealant or the mess, it is really not bad at all once you develop a procedure.

The local agricultural supply store, such as Tractor Supply or other such stores that supply veterinary supplies to farmers and ranchers will have plastic syringes. These are about 3-4 inches long, about an inch or so in diameter and have a plastic extension. These work just like the 3.5 tubes and work very well. Mix up the sealant and use pop-cycle sticks to place the mixture in the syringe. If you are thinking of using the tubes from Vans I am sure you are aware of their "sealant gun". You can place these syringes in the gun and dispense the sealant just like you would the tubes.

Well, just some thoughts on using the tubes vs. using the quart container. I have used both. The tubes can come in handy for small jobs but it did take just about that entire quart to properly seal my tanks. In addition to several tubes and the smaller packets to do touch up and repairs. It is worth it to go ahead and purchase the quart container.

Good Luck.

Hi Jay,

I used a tube of Flamemaster to seal the trailing edges on my empenage control surfaces, and I was barely able to use it all before it began to cure to the point where it was too difficult to squeeze out of the tube.

I used the quart for the tanks. Don't be intimidated by it - as others have posted it's not really that difficult or messy. I also use syringes to measure out by VOLUME, not by weight using the 10:1 ratio. I talked to the manufacturer about that and they said that was fine, just wasting a little hardener. I use a 50cc syringe for the white part, and a 5cc syringe for the black part... very accurate and you can easily measure out small amounts for touch-ups.

This was a VERY useful tool:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/sealantgun3.php

I was able to get one on ebay for $30 used. If you decide to buy one get the non-pistol grip gun with a 2.5 oz retainer. Inserts and tips can be used over and over - just let the sealant cure and you can peel it out good as new.

Good luck - let me know if you have any questions.

Tom

Proseal

Careful, the tube is B1/2 half hour curing time and the quart is B2 two hour curing time.
You will need every bit of the two hours per session.
I think the rear baffles took me 2 hours each.
I found it very handy to be able to mix up small batches at a time on some parts. I originally bought the tube for doing the empennage but cut it apart so I didn't have to mix it all up at once.
The quart works out better.