Don Jones

Well Known Member
I am in the process of unpacking and doing inventory on my fuse kit. Man, does Van's pack these things. I now have 3 or 4 huge trash bags full of paper. Another forest bites the dust...:rolleyes:
Ahh, more parts to work on <sigh of relief>

I saved the big pieces and used them to mask off aircraft sections for painting, sanding, glassing, etc..

This is one of my favorite pictures of Nora helping with the -9.

We were unpacking and inventorying the fuselage kit before moving the parts to the basement. As you can see, there are still items wrapped in paper.

I prefer dealing with the paper (recyclable, at least in my neck of the woods) than those stupid foam peanuts that come with every Aircraft Spruce package. Never fails to make a mess when transporting to the trash can. Pet peeve... ACS, if you are listening, I love your quick service, but not your packaging materials.

erich

I was thinking the same thing!

I prefer dealing with the paper (recyclable, at least in my neck of the woods) than those stupid foam peanuts that come with every Aircraft Spruce package. Never fails to make a mess when transporting to the trash can. Pet peeve... ACS, if you are listening, I love your quick service, but not your packaging materials.

erich

Funny, I was thinking the same thing as I stuffed paper in trash bags. I told myself "well at least it is not those stupid foam peanuts"

yes!

Make that 3 peanut haters. Dog nosed the open box (everything is his) and I had peanuts all over the kitchen. Grrr.

My paper went to my nephews for coloring.

Rick

Peanuts...

Some of the newer shipping peanuts are biodegradeable-try putting one in some water for a minute-They will turn to a sticky,messy goo that seems like it would be a good glue to use somewhere:D

Some of the newer shipping peanuts are biodegradeable-try putting one in some water for a minute-They will turn to a sticky,messy goo that seems like it would be a good glue to use somewhere:D

I think those are corn starch, you can actually ingest them without much harm! the popcorn of the future, blech!

shucks, I'm glad for all the paper, it does a good job protecting the parts and that is way better than bubble wrap or styrofoam peanuts for the environment. try recycling that stuff, the best you can do is reuse it. In the winter i like to use the packing paper for lighting my wood stove fire, it works well.

I had some parts shipped that weren't wrapped in paper, some of the parts had some pretty bad scratches from the aluminum parts rubbing on each other.

recycle or re-use

I'm glad to see some folks found good second uses for the paper. I did for some of it. The rest went in the recycling bin - not a perfect solution, it was still a resource that we had to use - but better than the land fill.

The other thing we all hate but there's no better solution for is the blue vinyl film. I wonder how many tons of it Van deploys in a year. I wish I had a better solution to offer on that.

I dumped a bunch of the biodegradable peanuts in the kitchen sink and turned on the water. Voila! They melted away. Then voila, the sink backed up and I got to clean the drain pipe out.:eek:

The styrofoam peanuts are great for forecasting high winds. Whenever I put them in the trash by the curb at night, the wind will be blowing the next day and they will fly all over the yard when the garbage truck dumps the trash.:mad: