N282RV

Well Known Member
Ok I probably just cant see the tree in the forest but where in zues's butt hole does it tell you how to refrence where the flap should be placed laterally? I know i want the trailing edge to line up with the aileron which is level to the wing and Ill adjust the wingtip as required but I have looked and read and reread about the flaps and do not see how close/far from the aileron the flap should be, and what ramifications will this have when I go to fit to the fuselage? I do see on the one overall wing drawing it shows a 1/4 inch gap but is that all the guidance given?

What I did.....

(RV6) I put my wings (1 at a time) on a ling table i built.

I put the aileron on and then I did not put holes in the flap hinge "on the wing side" until the flap and the aileron trailing edges matched. If you already nailed that part of the hinge to the wing assy. you could do the same thing with a new hinge half on the flap side. The hinge is not expensive and if you already have all the holes in , you only need to by one hinge and pull the pin out for two halves. If it is close and you have it already riveted you could just accept it.

I do see on the one overall wing drawing it shows a 1/4 inch gap but is that all the guidance given?

It really is that simple. Stick a 1/4" drill bit between the aileron and the flap, and there's your proper gap. Line up the trailing edges of the aileron and flap, and there's your fore/aft position. The inboard end of the flap will be trimmed to the fuselage contour later.

You may find, as many RV-8 builder have before, that you need to use a wider flap hinge (an AN257-P4) instead of the stock -P3 hinge on the wing in order to get the proper rivet edge distance.

...... and read and reread about the flaps and do not see how close/far from the aileron the flap should be, and what ramifications will this have when I go to fit to the fuselage? I do see on the one overall wing drawing it shows a 1/4 inch gap but is that all the guidance given?
Jeremy,

A 1/4" gap...give or take...sounds about right. The main thing is to make certain that through 40? of travel, the flap maintains positive clearance with the bolt head at the inboard aileron attachment circled in the photo. Assure positive clearance exists, then position the flap relative to the trailing edge of the aileron. Using plumb bobs, the second photo gives you an idea how I did it. Finally, drill the hinge half to the wing structure.

Apparently some builders have e.d. issues attempting to install the stock flap hinge Van's includes with the wing kit. In my case, the stock hinge worked just fine.

72y2xl.jpg

fyzj0l.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys, that was exactly what I needed to know, now I can get back to work instead of thinking how I was going to put my flaps on tonight when I get home, who am I kidding now I just want to go home and do it!