Tandem46

Well Known Member
Last edited:
"While the aircraft's emergency parachute system was found partially deployed (outside the airframe), information from local sources indicates that the chute was still (mostly) in the deployment bag and was not in a decelerative configuration."

Hmmmm, so the 'chute didn't save the day? I have never really been concinced that it was a true "ace in the hole" solution. Quite frankly, I would probably have flown it to the landing site assuming all control surfaces were intact.

My condolences to the family.

:( CJ

Captain_John said:
Quite frankly, I would probably have flown it to the landing site assuming all control surfaces were intact.

Assuming you hadn't lost control, become disoriented, had a heart attack, been clobbered by a bird, etc. Can't we all show a tiny bit of respect for the family and wait til we at least get some details before we start armchair quarterbacking this poor guy?

Steve Zicree

Sorry if I seem "unchilled", I meant no offense. It's just that every time a plane goes down, everybody gathers round to bash pilot, plane, etc, before ANY facts are in. It's easy to say what one WOULD do in an emergency, but nobody really knows for sure. Regarding the parachute, it is not known yet whether the pilot deployed it or if it was deployed on impact. The merits of the BRS are always a hot topic on here and I'm sure this will get it going again. I guess I just feel for the family.

Steve Zicree

I think people just look at stuff like this and try to figure out "what if it was me?" They try to figure out "mistakes" that were made so they can try to avoid them. I think actually what people do is put themselves in the pilot's position. so when they "bash" the parachute or the plane, I think they're actually just working through what actions they would take out loud because crashing airplanes scares the hell out of us because we all know how thin the line actually is and I think we all know that this guy was probably a good pilot flying a good plane and today's he and ( believe) his elderly parents are dead.

A frightening thought. And "bashing" is sometimes a coping mechanism

It would be a lot easier if these things could be blamed on something. But I think we just know that sometimes good pilots make mistakes and sometimes this is what happens.

And we all know "we've" made our share of mistakes.

So at times like this, there's a lot of whistling by the graveyard.

It's all a reminder to...well... take care. Fly safe.