pilot28906

Well Known Member
The canopy strut kit has a sketch that shows how to attach the strut brackets and struts and an old photo showing the struts. The sketch instructions says from the distance between ball stud mounts should be 10.15". Drawing 49 shows it should be 9 11/16" min with canopy closed. There is also notes about adding fiberglass to the 616 bulkhead to make it more rigid on the old sketch.

I am assuming I should follow drawing 49 as it looks like it came along after the sketch?

Thanks

Just Did this Last week.

The canopy strut kit has a sketch that shows how to attach the strut brackets and struts and an old photo showing the struts. The sketch instructions says from the distance between ball stud mounts should be 10.15". Drawing 49 shows it should be 9 11/16" min with canopy closed. There is also notes about adding fiberglass to the 616 bulkhead to make it more rigid on the old sketch.

I am assuming I should follow drawing 49 as it looks like it came along after the sketch?

Thanks

I looked up the strut drawing for the 22.5# unit and used the closed length plus a tad. The drawing shows the closed length to be 9.65"

I took the attachment balls and drilled a link with holes to fit over them. It became a pattern to install the back pivot when closed. Drill them slightly small and taper the hole so they will wedge/stick to the stud and it will make the location job easier. I added maybe a 1/16th to the length to avoid problems of tolerance. The ball diameters are not real precise, so match specific ones that to your tool.

This is for the original parts, not a retrofit kit, so be sure the dimension works with a test piece.

YMMV

Last edited: