snoopyflys

Well Known Member
I finished my ailerons and really happy with the way they turned out. Straight, no bends and the trailing edge radius appears to be right on the mark. :D Well that all changed when I realized I forgot to use RTV or Proseal on the skin stiffeners at the trailing edge DOH! :mad:.

I am asking those that have gone before me, should I build on and fly them until the vibration cracks develop (if) or build replacements :(? Will the vibration, if any, be felt at the stick and will it cause any control flutter in the ailerons?

Thanks,

The RTV was a fix for some original rudder and elevator skins which were only 0.015" thick, hammered by the prop wash and prone to cracking. The ailerons are thicker and out of the prop wash so you should be fine. Also RTV in the TE will make it harder to squeeze if you ever need to adjust trim.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

My RV-6 has been flying for over 17 years with the original .016" skins. No RTV, pro-seal, or anything else. No cracks. If the trailing edge radius is correct, there should be no problem.

My RV-6 has been flying for over 17 years with the original .016" skins. No RTV, pro-seal, or anything else. No cracks. If the trailing edge radius is correct, there should be no problem.

Good to know! Because I forgot to put it in either the rudder or elevators, and was a bit disturbed at the time. Now, I've forgotten if it was the elevator or rudder.. :)

L.Adamson ---- RV6A

Whew...VAF members come thru again!

Thanks for the quick replies.

Good to hear that others have been flying their RVs without RTV and that Van's says that it's not required on the aileron or flaps.:D

The build will now continue! Gotta get these wings done!