videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
Thursday evening our EAA chapter had a guest speaker. He arrived early to get some time in my 9A. Of all the pilots who have flown her, this guy did better than just about anyone, even greasing all his landings. He has about 4000 hours, CFII, and flew Citations. He teaches the art of crosswind landing but had never been in a homebuilt, much less an RV. I got an e-mail from him that gives such a good evaluation of what we fly:

"I continue to think about your plane and wonder if I could ever own one some day. It flew so very well and felt like the best flyer that I have ever had in my hands. It was a wonderful experience. The best way I can put it is this... I have flown many different types of airplanes. Some feel like you need to work to get them airborne and keep them flying. Yours felt ready to fly as soon as the power came up and the climb performance with two of us onboard just confirmed that it was made for the air. The control available, even at slow speed, provided a true sense of mastering the difficult job of flying with excellence. You guys did a great job with construction."

My first impression, "Wow, isn't he perceptive!" The next--The RV grin is really well deserved. Just had to share this one.

BTW, this guy puts on a very educational presentation. Probably half of our members are going to take his course. See xwindsim.com if you are interested.

Bob Kelly

$ 50,000 todays cost?

Please tell me how to build one of these for $50,000. I've thunked it everyway I can and can't get it under about 65,000 and thats with a used motor/prop and friendly A/P helping on the rebuild. I'm figuring more like $80,000. Gene

Gene,

$50,000? No problem. Have you considered Briggs & Stratton engines? That brings the cost down;)

I can think of two reasons for the "$50,000 ride" expression:
1. It has been around since when you probably could build one for that and
2. If we tell 'em how much it will REALLY cost, you would scare them away.

Bob Kelly

Built mine for around $45,000

I started my 9A in February of 2001. When I finished it in 2005 I had about $45,000 into it. My engine was used at $5,000 and a wood prop from Sterba for $500. I painted it myself and saved 6-10 grand depending on who you have paint it. It's not a professional paint job by no means, but I have just as much fun as anyone else while I'm in the air.

I started with some used avionics and have upgraded since then, new Catto prop, 496, Zulu headset, new transponder, etc., but it can be done. You just have to make choices of what you need vs. what you want.

I'm still getting over the notion that you'd let someone else land your RV. :D

I think he is only the third pilot I have let do that. First was the instructor who checked out my partner, second Lionel Smith who teaches bush pilots, now Brad. Taking his course on landing will save you 5% on your insurance, so I figured I could take a chance. His first landing was as good as any I have ever done. I considered it a learning experience:)

BTW, I have about $60K. Saved about $12K by getting the FWF from a hurricane Charlie'd 6A. Engine had 885 TTSN on it and is a gem. Paint (professionally done) was only about $3000 because it was one color and finished with second & third colors in vinyl.

Bob