todehnal

Well Known Member
I'm installing a 496 in my RV-12 project and I would like to use it in my C-170 as well and share the data base. I was planning to install an Air Gizmo and an external antenna, to replace my old decommissioned Loran. I have a G 56 antenna that was sold to me with the statement that it would work on my 496. I really don't want to do the whole install, only to find out that it doesn't work. I understand that the non waas 430's used the G 56, but they developed the G 57 to be able to comply with the tougher regs for IFR certification of the 430/530 waas units.

Now, the question is, will this G 56 give me satisfactory performance, with waas enabled on my 496?

This is way above my pay grade and I could really use some input that might save me from cutting additional wholes in my classic C-170

Thanks in advance, Tom

FWIW, Tom.....

...I used an old broom handle-looking vertical antenna that came with a Garmin 95 XL for several years:eek:. The newer antenna lets the 496 acquire sats much faster.

Best,

GPS Antenna choice

do a test.

Ed, I suppose you are right. I thought about just building a short cable, but I wasn't sure that it would tell me anything. Does the GA 56 need a ground plane to function properly? And I'm really not sure if waas reception is at a different wave length, requiring a specific design in an antenna. Also, I felt that I couldn't be the first guy to want a permanently mounted, exterior antenna, and I thought that it would be nice to know what has worked for others. There are lots of Air Gizomos out there. Installing one, almost requires a remotely mounted antenna. What is being used??

Tom

Waas Enabled

...I used an old broom handle-looking vertical antenna that came with a Garmin 95 XL for several years:eek:. The newer antenna lets the 496 acquire sats much faster.

Best,

Pierre, did you get "waas enabled" on your 496 with that antenna?? That would give me a lot of confidence to move forward.

Tom