Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I’m not having my luck on finding the documentation on how to set anonymous mode in the Garmin manuals. I’ve found some info in the GTN750 manual but not what I need. Can someone point me in the right direction or tell me how.

Ideally, I want to display VFR when squawking 1200 and my N number when on a discrete code.

I know it won’t help on controlled fields but makes sense to avoid ADSB gotchas on non controlled fields since 1200 will be the squawk.

Anonymous Mode is only available with 978 MHz universal access (UAT) ADS-B devices (which are usually used in conjunction with an existing Mode C Transponder). ADS-B 1090ES Transponders do not have this feature and you/we are SOL ;).

If you have something like a GDL 82 (a UAT device), instructions for setting Anonymous Mode is in the Manual.

Last edited:
I know it won’t help on controlled fields but makes sense to avoid ADSB gotchas on non controlled fields since 1200 will be the squawk.
As mentioned above, anonymous mode is only available with 978MHz UATs, not mode S-ES transponders. However, imho many if not most towers do not give you a squawk code, so your adsb can still be anonymous. Of course, you’re suppose to be talking with the tower so you’re not a secret.