Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
Hypothetical question for the A&P crowd out there: if I have a US-registered airplane that I take to Canada and the annual is due while traveling, can it be done by a Canadian A&P/AI and still be valid upon my return home? Basically, the question is whether a Canadian certification is accepted in the US (or vice versa)?

Thanks,
Greg

Annual inspections for certified aircraft cannot be done in Canada (ref 43.17).
However, an experimental doesn't get an "annual" inspection, so I'm "pretty sure" any person authorized to perform maintenance in CA per 43.17 (C) should be able to do a "condtion" inspection and it would be valid in the US.

You should double check this with your local FSDO to be sure.

I see lots of authorization to perform maintenance in 43.17, but what about inspection?
Walt, is there a distinction on the Maintenance side of the regs between maintenance and inspection?
On the Ops side there is a very clear distinction between training and checking for example. Just wondered if there was a clear line in the sand between what is considered maintenance and what is considered inspection.
Just curious.

Greg,

Text sent to ya with the RNO FSDO Maint go to guy (Bill). Great guy, he'll steer ya straight. Please post what ya find out!

Cheers,
Bob

Inspections are covered under 91.409 but in this case experimentals are excluded so 43.17 would appear to cover the conditional, at least thats my take on it (but I've only had one cup of coffee this morning).

?43.17 Maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations performed on U.S. aeronautical products by certain Canadian persons:

(d) Performance requirements. A person authorized in paragraph (c) of this section may perform maintenance (including any inspection required by Sec. 91.409 of this chapter, except an annual inspection), preventive maintenance, and alterations, provided?

91.409 Inspections:

(c) Paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section do not apply to?

(1) An aircraft that carries a special flight permit, a current experimental certificate, or a light-sport or provisional airworthiness certificate;

Greg: Are you talking about your RV9 that you built and hold the repariman's certificate or another experimental or certified aircraft? Dan

Thanks all for the info. I'll call the local FSDO and see what he says as well.

Dan: no, not talking about my airplane - I know I can do the inspections on it.

Greg

Hypothetical question for the A&P crowd out there: if I have a US-registered airplane that I take to Canada and the annual is due while traveling, can it be done by a Canadian A&P/AI and still be valid upon my return home? Basically, the question is whether a Canadian certification is accepted in the US (or vice versa)?

Thanks,
Greg

FWIW I lived in El Salvador, Central America for 4 yrs. All the US registered aircraft (Tail number started with N) had their annual inspection done by a local mechanic that had a valid and current FAA A&P/IA license. As long as the person has a valid FAA A&P/IA and follows FAA procedures it doesn't matter where in the world he physically does the inspection. At least that was what they claimed and did.

:cool:

Last edited:
That is true. I have had Mx done on the road on a US registered aircraft in foreign countries by individuals who held an FAA certificate. There are other factors applicable if the aircraft is in commercial operation but for a private aircraft it is true.