mtclay

"No person must operate this aircraft unless within the preceding 12 calendar months it has had a condition inspection performed in accordance with the scope and detail of appendix D to part 43, or other FAA-approved programs, and was found to be in a condition for safe operation. As part of the condition inspection, cockpit instruments must be appropriately marked and needed placards installed in accordance with ? 91.9. In addition, system-essential controls must be in good condition, securely mounted, clearly marked, and provide for ease of operation. This inspection will be recorded in the aircraft maintenance records."

I am slightly confused by the wording of the quote above.

What does "within the preceding 12 calendar months" really mean?

For example, if my last condition inspection was signed off on the 3rd of May do I have until the end of the next May to perform the next inspection, or must it be performed prior to the 3rd of May?

I suspect that I have until the end of May because that's the way the FAA physicals work, but I thought I should ask.

Thanks,

...For example, if my last condition inspection was signed off on the 3rd of May do I have until the end of the next May to perform the next inspection, or must it be performed prior to the 3rd of May?

I suspect that I have until the end of May because that's the way the FAA physicals work, but I thought I should ask.

Thanks,
You are correct; you have until the end of May. Either that or complete and sign it June 1st. That way you can creep it around to whenever you want. Of course, you can always do it early as well.

Yep!

May is a "calendar month". You have until the end of the month in which last year's inspection was signed Off.

If All Is Well

Go the "Free" annual route. If your annual is due in May, fly it all May then start your annual June 1st. The next year, July 1st....and so on. After 12 years you got one free annual and have complied.

Go the "Free" annual route. If your annual is due in May, fly it all May then start your annual June 1st. The next year, July 1st....and so on. After 12 years you got one free annual and have complied.
Been doing this for over 40 years. Works so far!
Hey, I've gotten 3.33 free years.

Thanks Bill, Mel, and Mike.

I was pretty sure I was correct, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

question for Mel

Mel,
can the annual inspection on experimentals be signed off by an A & P, or does it have to be an AI?

Thanks,
Chris

Thanks!

Thanks a million Mel... I thought that was the way it worked. One of these days I will appear at the FSDO to pick up my RC, but annual time is fast approaching!!

Regards,
Chris