prkaye

Well Known Member
Following Dan Checkoway, I have an ANL limiter between my main bus (at the relays) and the alternator cable. The ANL limiter has orientation markings stamped on the ends. One end says "Ignition" and the other end says "Protected". I assume I put the "Ignition" end on the main-bus side, and the alternator cable to the "Protected end... is this correct?
This is how it appears to be done on another builder's site: http://rv.jpainter.org/?view=entry&date=2006-06-20#1594 (based on the orientation of the "ANL" and "Mexico" text).
Or maybe this is backwards... current would be flowing away from the alternator, so maybe the "protected" side shoud go at the main-bus side?

Last edited:
The ANL device is a robust fuse...

...and it does not care which way current is flowing through the device. You may have noticed that the ANL has two sloted tabs, one on each end. One slot is parallel to the long axis, the other is at 90deg to the long axis.

In your particular mounting orientation, this allows you to secure the ANL in its holder so that when the wire mounting nuts are loosened, the ANL does not "fall" out of the holder and potentially contact (short out) another item or structure.

You get to choose how this is accomplished by either mounting the holder vertical, horizontal, or flat. Then position the ANL fuse in the holder so that it will not fall or rotate as the nuts are tightened or loosened.