RickWoodall

Well Known Member
OK
I am struggling here. Basic day/night vfr simple ship, dynon skyview panel.

Was planning on running 6g wire from alt to shunt, copper bar shunt to ANL60, copper bar ANL60 to Master solenoid.

That was just what the plan was. Now I see some builders putting the shunt in other locations like between master solenoid and main bus?

I dont want to overthink this, why would route of alt, shunt, anl, master solenoid, master switch not be best?

Not enjoying the wiring, thanks for any suggestions or clarifications.

FURTHER...now it seems all the rage to install 2 ANL current limiters. UGGGGHHHH.

Last edited:
Some, and I am one of em, put in two ANL fuses....

One on the alternator "B" lead and one on the lead feeding into the main bus.

The reason you want a ANL close to the master inline with the "B" lead is because the battery is the huge current source in this situation and if your alternator or its "B" lead are shorted out, you want this huge wire protected.

The reason you might want an ALN close to the master inline with the main bus feed is that if you don't, you will have a big fat unprotected wire running thru your firewall and into your cabin. I did not want a fat unprotected wire in my cabin period....

Some people say that if you have a huge fault on the main bus feed, that the master would open...Really? Sure about that? I have seen tons of contactors weld shut when they experience a hard fault.