Jake

I know this is not a tecnam forum but thaught you guys would be the ones to know if anyone does.
I am buying a tecnam light sport and they are trying to convince me to substitute the traditional stall warning that was specified in the contract for the advanced flight AOA.
Is this a wise trade or?

Thanks for any opinions.

Jake

I have the Advanced AOA in my 7 and think it's a great tool and a valuable safety feature, definately better than a simple stall warning device.

AOA's

are great safety devices and give you a lot more than just a stall warning. I've flown behind a few and would never be without one again.
They've given you some good advice. Be sure to google AOA's for some background material.
Steve

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Jake, or is it Mark?? Welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

You are not the only member who flys a different make of airplane, dont sweat it.

I do not have the AOA, but I do have a bit of time behind one in a buddys plane, and it is a great tool. It is on my list of upgrades when time and $$$ converge.

By the way, have you ever gotten a flight in an RV???

You really should do so.......

I have looked at a several RVs but no rides.
Had i known then what i know now I would
have looked a lot harder at the RV10 before
I got the 182.

Now im looking for something that is easy on fuel
when its only me in the plane.

Jake

how difficult to install in flying RV?

I have the Advanced AOA in my 7 and think it's a great tool and a valuable safety feature, definately better than a simple stall warning device.

I'm considering adding this (or LRI or Alpha Systems or Rite Angle) Angle of Attack system to my flying RV. Did you (or other readers) install yours as part of building, or into an existing, flying RV? I'm just wondering how much trouble each of htese systems will be to retrofit.

thanks,
brian

I love the Advanced AOA in my -10. It would not be difficult to install in a completed plane. I have flown both the glare shield display and the efis display; much prefer the glare shield location.

Jim Berry

...and the location?

interesting too.... that it's usefulness has to be related to line-of-sight in those critical phases of flight.
Since I would hope I am looking out the window, has anyone mouted one of the simple LED ones on the 'dash', so that it appears like a HUD, in the reflection on the windshield? ( maybe not suitable for the 'night' guys).

I've had the AFS AOA in my plane since day one and would highly recommend it over a stall warning horn.

interesting too.... that it's usefulness has to be related to line-of-sight in those critical phases of flight.
Since I would hope I am looking out the window, has anyone mouted one of the simple LED ones on the 'dash', so that it appears like a HUD, in the reflection on the windshield? ( maybe not suitable for the 'night' guys).

Line of sight is convenient but not essential. Your airspeed indicator isn't in your "line of sight" and no doubt you don't have plans to mount it on the dash. :)

The AOA indicator needs to be where you can easily scan it just as you would other instruments. AOA doesn't change so rapidly that it has to be looked at constantly. Here is my panel with the LRI:

panel_09-2008.jpg

(larger photo)

This is an old photo, the LRI probe now also drives the AOA indicator in the current Dynon software. This is a great combination since the LRI is fully mechanical but also drives the Dynon audio alarm.

The LRI is my primary instrument for takeoff and landing along with the occasionally "reality check" with the airspeed indicator to make sure a bug hasn't plugged the AOA probe or something. The AOA is a real confidence booster for high performance operations out of short fields.

Last edited: