petehowell

Well Known Member
Anybody out there running an Android tablet with Garmin Pilot and a GDL39?

Are you able to see FIS-B radar? I only have access to one ground station at my desk and wanted to know if this was a local signal issue or if it is a hardware software issue.

I am running a running a rooted Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus and really like the size and performance for the less than $130 price. (thanksgiving doorbuster)

Drop me a PM if you would be willing to have a chat on the phone.

Samsun Tab 2 and GDL-39

I am running this identical setup GLD-39, Samsung 7" Tab 2, with Garmin Pilot. In the Philadelphia area at 2K feet I see as many as 12 ground stations but never fewer than 9. I receive both FIS-B, and TIS-B.
I recently added a Trig TT-21 ADS-B compliant transponder. This has made a world of difference in traffic awareness. At times it is too much information. You have to be careful not to fixate on the traffic screen especially during landing phase of flight.
One issue with the Garmin Pilot app for the Android 7" display is that it is buggy. Since I started using Garmin Pilot there have been new release of software about every two weeks. The app has improved but it still crashes at inopportune times.
Over all I am very happy with the GDL-39 and Garmin Pilot.
Joel

More research...

Is anyone getting FIS-B RADAR with the GDL-39 connected to an Android phone or tablet?

I am at my desk running my ipad next to my 7" tab plus. The Ipad shows FIS-B radar, txt EX and traffic, but the tab plus gets only text WX and traffic, but not radar. I have let it sit for 2 hrs with no change. It is cool watching jetliner at 38K right above the house and all the snow!

Is this a know limitation of the Android with the GDL-39?

Thanks!

Bump

Have had some phone calls with Garmin - they don't know about FIS-B Radar problem with Android - their best advice was to wait for the new Android release (was supposed to be last week) Hopefully this week.

Anybody out there able to to see FIS-B radar on an android phone/tab? I'd really like this to work.

Giddy Up!

Been working with the guys at Garmin this week and they came out with a new version of Pilot for Android that fixes the FIS-B radar!

garmin%25204.jpg

Traffic rocks, too.
garmin%25205.jpg

Very happy with the cheap Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. Dual-core 1.2Ghz, 1Meg RAM, 16GB installed, Micro SD slot for an extra 32GB. Easily rooted to run Cyanogenmod or other flavors of Jelly Bean.

GALAXY-Tab-7.0-Plus.jpg

They can be had for less than $150 used if you look around the web. This thing also finds the American GPS and the Cousin VLAD Glonass sats in my basement!

garmin%25206.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Android tablet $134

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus 16GB Memory Note-these are used, but the one I got looked brand new.

After 10% discount, price = $135. Discount code "celebrate10"

GALAXY-Tab-7.0-Plus.jpg

I am using this to run Garmin Pilot with a GDL39. Screen is not perfect in a sunny cockpit, but the performance is really solid and the price is right. The form factor is great for everyday use, too. I have been using this as my daily tablet for a month now and have really enjoyed it.

Dual-core 1.2 GHz processor
1GM System Memory
16GB Storage built in, expandable memory via cheap microSD card
Runs Android 4.0 -

Nice case can be found here

Not quite an iPad Mini, but not quite $329 either

Last edited: