Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Gents,

I am installing an Andair fuel valve (supplied by Van's) with the high pressure electric fuel pump. Do any of you fellow builders have any photos of the feed plumbing to the Van's Andair valve? The valve has 90 degree AN fitting adapters not 1/4 NPT.

Paul (RV-7A)

Valve Clarafication

Gents,

Thanks for the info but I need to clarify the issue. Please review the photo.
cat-med_fuel-selector-valve.jpg

The valve has "built in 90's" that move the fitting centerlines closer to the valve centerline. It appears in my preliminary installation (without feed lines) that the fuel pump aft tubing will interfere with the feed lines to the valve. I will mess around with it more tomorrow and post some photos.

Thanks,

Paul

It appears in my preliminary installation (without feed lines) that the fuel pump aft tubing will interfere with the feed lines to the valve.

I may be misunderstanding your comment but the 90 degree fittings are in plates that are attached by screws to the Andair valve body. The plates can be removed and rotated in 90 degree increments to change the orientation of the elbows. That gives you a lot of options in routing fuel lines.

Be careful what you move on the Andair Valve, I made the mistake of ordering what I thought was the correct valve for my RV7 direct from Andair (the FS-20X3) because that's what I was told to get. When it arrived it was obvious that it would not fit correctly in its factory configuration so I set about unscrewing the head to get the right fit, big mistake!

To cut a long story short, I ended up ordering the FS-20X7 (which IS the correct unit for the 7) and having a brand new FS-20X3 serviced by Andair because I should never have messed with it!

So, if anyone needs a brand new FS-20X3 Andair Valve, serviced by them last week, let me know!

Use the T fitting on the FS-20X7 and you should be good to go.

Shiney

I have some photos here:

http://www.rv7blog.com/2007/10/27/more-fuel-plumbing/
http://www.rv7blog.com/2007/11/04/finished-fuel-pump-plumbing/

I have banjo fittings, but otherwise the setup is identical to yours.

mcb

Matt, I am getting ready to fabricate the tubing for the fuel system and was looking at your install. I have a few questions:

1. Do you use a purge system? I did not see any lines for purging hot fuel out of the sytem, I am using an AFP with purge and was not sure if I need the duplex andair valve...

2. Do you have a parts list of the extra fittings that you needed to purchase?

Thanks,

- Matt

1. Do you use a purge system? I did not see any lines for purging hot fuel out of the sytem, I am using an AFP with purge and was not sure if I need the duplex andair valve...

2. Do you have a parts list of the extra fittings that you needed to purchase?

Nope, I don't have a purge system on my airplane. Depending on how fancy you wanted to get, you could either use the full-on duplex valve, or just run the purge return line back to a single tank. I did install a duplex valve on my 9A (car engine) and it was more work as you might expect.

Sorry, I don't have a list of required fittings - I just drew from my parts bin and went to the local aircraft parts house for what I didn't have.

good luck,
mcb

Nope, I don't have a purge system on my airplane. Depending on how fancy you wanted to get, you could either use the full-on duplex valve, or just run the purge return line back to a single tank. I did install a duplex valve on my 9A (car engine) and it was more work as you might expect.

Sorry, I don't have a list of required fittings - I just drew from my parts bin and went to the local aircraft parts house for what I didn't have.

good luck,
mcb

Local Aircraft Parts store.... that must be nice...

- Matt

Local Aircraft Parts store.... that must be nice...

Yes, we are blessed with a local place that has a lot of AN/MS hardware and plumbing, and another joint where you can buy 2024 sheet by the foot. I still have to order lots of stuff from Van's and Spruce though!

You will eventually have so many leftover pipe fittings that plumbing the next airplane will be a piece of cake... that's why I had the parts on hand to do the pump install on my 7, it was all leftover stuff from when I replumbed my 9A!

cheers,
mcb

Interested in the valve

Shiney,

I'm interested in your extra valve. I sent you a PM.

Thanks,

DD

PURGE line

So can anyone provide any better info that Dan C has re purge lines. The little reducer t to t into fuel line for right tank prior to selector I can find in anyones cat. Pics or source for that t... an, 3/8 x 1/4 x 3/8 flared on all three ends.
Some skip it, some dont...i planned on doing similar to dans, just can find the right hardware and more pics always help.

??? If anyone can solve that issue, i got a great question about installing a gascolator at EACH wing that i am looking into.