T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
GOOD MORNING TO ALL,
I'm currently working on my fuel system on my RV10. I have purchaced a Andair valve from Van's that doesn't have a 6" extension. Unfortunatley Van's doesn't offer the extension. I feel if I don't lower the valve it may get hot when the rear heat is flowing to the rear seats . My question is two fold.
1. Is the 6" extension to long with the swivel tee and valve? It measures almost 10".
2. If it is to long, can the extension be cut to about half the lenght?
Or am off base with the heat being to close to the valve? What have others done in this case. I have done a search, but the info is not clear....
Thanks

The extension is an extrusion; you can cut it to any length. Dunno about the heat yet, but I'm taking other steps to cool things off in there.

I'm looking to insulate the fuel lines in from the firewall aft. What are you using to do this?
Thanks again

Rather than insulate the fuel lines (and wiring and brake lines, etc.), I think the better approach is to not let the heat into the tunnel. From previous threads I've read, it seems the major sources are the firewall, the bottom of the fuselage near the exhausts, and the scat tubing that should be carrying heat into the cabin, not dumping it into the tunnel. I intend some thermal insulation at the firewall and bottom of the tunnel. I also intend to use insulated SCAT so that cabin heat goes (mostly) where I intend. Note that this is theory and I'm still a couple of years from flying and finding out if I get results.

How long of an extension depends on the age of your fuselage kit. The mount point has changed over the years. I believe I have the newest location (but have no way to validate) location that is lower in the tunnel and the mounting bracket flanges face up. I think I used 3-4" of the extension. Unless you have some really unusually tunnel/panel configuration, you won't need the swivel tee. I have the Aerosport lower console panel and their arm rest. It was a pretty straight forward install. There are photos on my build site.

Like Patrick stated, insulate the firewall and tunnel floor as a minimum. I know that some have also insulated the scat tube. There are plenty of threads on both subjects on VAF.

bob

I fabricated my own valve bracket and extension for my Andair fuel valve. I did insulate the firewall, tunnel floor, wrapped the scat heat tubing with insulation, and also insulated the fuel lines with fire sleeve inside the tunnel.

Thank you all for the great input. Insulating the floor, firewall, scat tube I believe will do the trick. I'll order the extension today from A/C Spruce along with the appropriate insulation

What would be the easiest way to insulate the tunnel after all of the controls and fuel lines have been installed?