ron sterba

Well Known Member
Back in July 2016 I had a problem with my Andair fuel pump in my RV9A. Several builders comments and their directions to test and evaluation of sounds from the unit while pumping fuel gave me a basis to what was happening when the boost pump was turned on. Considering when the engine is shut down by pulling the mixture out, the restart (when cold) leaves the injection system empty. When the the boost pump is turned "ON" the fuel is pumped into the empty system with a sound level of a pump moving fuel. ( my plane) this last about 2-3 seconds then a different sound is heard when the fuel lines are FULL. WELL THIS INFORMATION I learned from builder who had the sound recording posted in a thread to me. WOW that's amazing by the GENT! Because of that I had determined a problem existed with my Andair fuel pump. I emailed Andair company and their response was send it back to us. Ok pulled the pump at 2pm,walked over to fed-ex and it left on the 3:30 flight. Two days there, one day repair and two days back. NO CHARGE for repair from Andair. Problem may have been buying early and storing on shelf that may have dried out a washer. Well Iam here to report the pump has worked flawlessly since Sept 2016. Hats off to Andair and Dougies friends here on the website. My engine is a YIO 320 D1A and usually starts after one revolution of my 3 blade Catto prop. My engine was new through Vans.

Ron in Oregon RV9A

Back in July 2016 I had a problem with my Andair fuel pump in my RV9A. Several builders comments and their directions to test and evaluation of sounds from the unit while pumping fuel gave me a basis to what was happening when the boost pump was turned on. Considering when the engine is shut down by pulling the mixture out, the restart (when cold) leaves the injection system empty. When the the boost pump is turned "ON" the fuel is pumped into the empty system with a sound level of a pump moving fuel. ( my plane) this last about 2-3 seconds then a different sound is heard when the fuel lines are FULL. WELL THIS INFORMATION I learned from builder who had the sound recording posted in a thread to me. WOW that's amazing by the GENT! Because of that I had determined a problem existed with my Andair fuel pump. I emailed Andair company and their response was send it back to us. Ok pulled the pump at 2pm,walked over to fed-ex and it left on the 3:30 flight. Two days there, one day repair and two days back. NO CHARGE for repair from Andair. Problem may have been buying early and storing on shelf that may have dried out a washer. Well Iam here to report the pump has worked flawlessly since Sept 2016. Hats off to Andair and Dougies friends here on the website. My engine is a YIO 320 D1A and usually starts after one revolution of my 3 blade Catto prop. My engine was new through Vans.

Ron in Oregon RV9A

Great service
Thanks for sharing
Love threads like this regarding great vendors

Similar experience a few years ago just prior to first engine start...pump was procured a couple of years prior, and likely just dried out. Wouldn't prime.

Had inspection coming up soon, so needed a pump, and Andair was *awesome*...sent me a new one (upgraded model, even), no questions asked, no charge and just asked me to send the old one back when I got a chance. New pump has worked flawlessly for 400+ hours now.

Great customer service (albeit, you *do* have to call them...they're not so good at answering emails). Also have their fuel selector valve, and I really like it...smooth operation, professional appearance...