Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
I'm building all the cross beam assemblies and such for the Andair pump, and I've run into a question...how are people dealing with the holes/platenuts on the sides? That is, the cross beam assemblies have small angle clips that have platenuts on the "inside". Fair enough...but then, since these cross beams go underneath F-782C, it seems the options are a) countersink the #8 hole in the clip, dimple F-782C and use a flush head screw, or b) somehow figure out where said hole(s) in the clip and F-782C end up on the floor stiffeners and drill them (which would be a blind drill...hole duplicator needed?) and screw all 3 pieces together.

If the former, doesn't look like there's enough material on the clip do a countersink for a #8 dimple in the F-782C, and if the former (which makes a little more sense), how are you locating the holes to drill the stiffener?

Also, are there any other tips/tricks for this out there? Seems pretty straightforward so far (except for this). :)

TIA

Steve

Steve,
Just finished my mounting 2 or 3 days ago. I had previously drilled holes in the floor stiffeners and F-782C and decided to use those to attach the entire assembly to the floor. To mount the pump I did exactly what you refer to in choice "a" - I dimpled the side flange of F-782C and used a CS screw to attach F-782C to the nutplate on the cross beam angle clip. Works great.

What are you doing about the BH375 fitting? It is not included and it is very expensive. I emailed Andair twice but did not get a reply about other options to pass through the firewall.

Good luck!

Steve

I'm just going to use an AN bulkhead fitting per the plans. No need to pay extra for the Andair fitting as far as I can tell. The pump, yeah...that buys you a *lot* (none of that tubing and nonsense). But I can't see any advantage to the Andair pass-through.

Thanks for the info on the cross beam attachment. I was thinking that would be the simplest solution...then I can put a couple of platenuts elsewhere (per the plans, plus anyplace else that seems reasonable, like close to the cross-beams) for holding the cover firmly in place.

Andair Pump Mount

I just did the Andair Pump mounting. You can read abou it and see photos on

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...n&project=607&category=5215&log=96145&row=139

I built the angles, and cover first, then measured where on the floor rib holes needed to be. Yes this was kind of a blind drill rather than a match drill. But it worked okay. Since holes get enlarged for #8 screws I was able to move them slightly to accommodate platenut location on angles. I also ordered Van's pump cover kit and cut it down in size to just fit over the Andair pump.

have fun

Last edited:
Guys, I was at Vans the other day and they NOW offer the new cover & mounting tray for the Andair pump & filter on the 7/9. Talk to GUS at VANS.The price is $94 I believe. Ron

Guys, I was at Vans the other day and they NOW offer the new cover & mounting tray for the Andair pump & filter on the 7/9. Talk to GUS at VANS.The price is $94 I believe. Ron
Anybody have any details or pictures of this kit? I don't see it listed on the Van's site.

I'm in the middle of this project right now, too. If you're building an A model, you need to run the brake lines through there, too, so those two cross beams will need to have cutouts to allow the brake lines to pass through underneath. Hope that makes sense. I don't have any pics yet.

Instead of the small angle clips, I'm considering just riveting the cross beams to the F-782C with flush rivets. I don't see any reason why not to, and it avoids the issues with drilling, dimpling or countersinking, more nutplates, etc. on the floor stiffeners. I already have those drilled and nutplates installed on the F-782C. Any comments?

Regarding the BH375 fitting from Andair for the firewall pass-through, I checked into it and it costs $53.00. I was at Vans the other day and asked about this. On their recommendation, I just bought a regular AN 90-degree fitting. Later on, I had my technical counselor here for a visit and I asked him about the location for placement. Then I drilled and installed it. Here are some pictures:

100_7736%20(Small).JPG

100_7738%20(Small).JPG

Thanks guys. I am familiar with what needs to be done using the current set-up, I was just looking to see if anyone has any details on the Andair specific parts Ron mentioned in his post. I am curious to see what parts Van's has produced specific to the Andair pump.

The BH375 came with the Andair pump/filter/valve combo I bought at OSH last year, but I will probably be steel fittings for all FW penetrations.

Last edited:
Just a quick follow up here...

I called Van's to ask about the Andair mounting kit that Ron mentioned above. They do in fact have a kit for $95 (PN 7/7A F.I. BRACKET KIT), but from what I could gather there really aren't any new or Andair specific parts in it. It appears like they like they just took the parts for the current AFP pump and adapted the kit to include some tubing and hardware.

I just got the regular FI fuel pump housing from Van's and cut it down in height...left the flanges on the bottom and trimmed the top. Using the plans from Andair for locations, hole in the bottom tunnel cover, vertical fuel selector housing, etc....it all worked no problemo. Can post pics tomorrow (parts are in the "paint booth" at the moment).

Can post pics tomorrow (parts are in the "paint booth" at the moment).
Don't do it on my behalf... I know what to do with the current parts. The previous post sounded like maybe there were some new Andair pump specific parts, which I have now confirmed there isn't. Thanks.

Andair fuel pump mounting method?

About four months ago I spent a fair amount of time fabricating the angle brackets to mount the Andair fuel pump per Andair's instructions. Now that I'm thinking about my electrical system, it seems that the tunnel formed by the F-762C is a great path to get wires to the rear of the airplane. The problem is that those two Andair angle brackets are like little dams in my tunnel.

My solution is the scrap the angle brackets and bend a piece of .063" aluminum sheet to lay inside the F-762C. This will clear the path under the F-762C and give something solid to mount the pump to.

I'm posting this for two reasons.
1) I want to see if anyone sees an error in my thinking.
2) If not, I want to prevent others from making the same mistake.

IMG_0080.jpg

Andair angles

I too made angles with platenuts on the ends for my Andair pump. I already trimmed out space on the angles for brakelines. My plan next is to cut out more of the angle to make room for wires to run underneath he angle. I think on the band saw you can just trim away most of the vertical flange o that angle to clear for wires and it will still be plenty stiff to hold the pump. At east as stiff as an extra plate.

Jake,
I had discussions with my technical counselor, and he agreed that those 1/8" thick angles are overkill. You don't need anything that heavy here. Plus, by the time you run your fuel line, brake lines, and electrical stuff through there, you're going to cut away much of the flanges on those angles anyway. So I ditched the angles and installed a stiffener plate of .040 that's riveted to the cover. I'm very pleased with how it all worked out. I documented all my work with lots of pictures here:

http://www.europa.com/~swayze/RV-7A/Fuselage/20100503.html

You can check forward and backward a few entries and see the whole story. Bottom line is, I wasted a bunch of time on those angles but I'm very pleased with how it all worked out in the end.