Hi Folks,
Has anybody installed the Andair (TQX1L) ?left hand? throttle quadrant in your RV-8? The right hand version looks very nice in the photos but I am yet to see a photo of the left hand model or find any info on installation. Also, I am wondering if it is compatible with a rear seat throttle.
Many thanks,
Gerry.

Bumping !!!

Any PIREPS out there on a left handed Andair Quadrant for the 8?

I'm looking to get a 2 lever, throttle and prop, quadrant with flap switches.

Thanks

Hi Gerry / Eric

I have the single lever Andair throttle in our RV-8, with rear throttle.

I move the vernier Prop/Mixture at the same time which is probably the biggest benefit of the whole change ;) IIRC correctly, even the 2 lever Andair quadrant would have problems fitting in the standard RV-8 space?

My personal view would be keep Flap Switches (as flying controls) off HOTAS systems. I altered my quadrant to a Freq change and Smoke switch, and can testify they do get accidentally operated :eek: A wider issue than Andair throttles, and debated elsewhere here.

The installation requires some adaptation, but not rocket science. Pics during installation:

AndairThrottle.jpg

AndairThrottle3.jpg

AndairLink.jpg

Thanks Andy for your reply!!

Your photos are nice !!!

I note the comment about the flap switches, a good point to consider!!
Will then probably put a flap control on the panel near the quadrant.

I still prefer having the prop control adjacent to the throttle.
Will maybe have to tinker a bit I would believe... :roll eyes:

Hi Eric

You'll get a 2 lever in there, just would take some "fettling". I think the starting point would be to cut down the outer spacers?

I still prefer having the prop control adjacent to the throttle.
Pros and cons each way. The real one for me, doing formation / aeros / both is wanting little throttle friction yet RPM staying constant. The more accurate settings available with a vernier are more for the mixture. But they are certainly less easy to hand :(

If you go ahead and get one, tell Andy I sent you, and I'll eMail you detailed pictures.