Rv8Medic

Hello,

I've got an Andair selector, filter, and pump. I'm at the installation phase. I'm going with a fuel injected engine & believe I need a return line after the Andair pump to go back to the selector. I've reviewed the plans but they don't have an Andair pump. It looks like all I need is a T fitting after the pump with one side going to the firewall and the other side going back to the selector. Does anybody know how this goes? Any suggestions on how to mount the Andair filter/pump? Also, I've purchase a fuel transducer and have seen them installed in many places. The plans state put it after the last pump (engine driven pump). Any info on this one? Thanks in advance for the responses!

Hello,

I've got an Andair selector, filter, and pump. I'm at the installation phase. I'm going with a fuel injected engine & believe I need a return line after the Andair pump to go back to the selector. I've reviewed the plans but they don't have an Andair pump. It looks like all I need is a T fitting after the pump with one side going to the firewall and the other side going back to the selector. Does anybody know how this goes? Any suggestions on how to mount the Andair filter/pump? Also, I've purchase a fuel transducer and have seen them installed in many places. The plans state put it after the last pump (engine driven pump). Any info on this one? Thanks in advance for the responses!

I have a similar setup on my RV8A build. Flow is tank to selector to filter to pump to engine. Andair pump has internal bypass I think. If you don't happen to have the Andair install instructions, you can probably get them on their site.

Why do you need a return?

If you have an ECI FI, the return comes back from the engine fuel pump. So run from:
TANK
To Andair Valve
To Filter
To Andair Fuel Pump
To Engine Fuel Pump
The Engine Fuel Pump will deliver the fuel to the throttle body and if return is needed, thru a #4 fitting you plumb back thru the firewall, a check valve and the Andair Valve to the same tank supplying fuel.

Look at page 3: http://www.eci.aero/exp/fis_operatingmanualM242.pdf

If you have an ECI FI, the return comes back from the engine fuel pump. So run from:
TANK
To Andair Valve
To Filter
To Andair Fuel Pump
To Engine Fuel Pump
The Engine Fuel Pump will deliver the fuel to the throttle body and if return is needed, thru a #4 fitting you plumb back thru the firewall, a check valve and the Andair Valve to the same tank supplying fuel.

Look at page 3: http://www.eci.aero/exp/fis_operatingmanualM242.pdf
Agree with Bud on his routing.

I will add that you should also consider what fuel flow instrumentation you are using. I have the ECI setup and am using the GRT EIS4000 to monitor engine parameters. This includes fuel flow. In order to get proper fuel flow readings with the return lines I had to install a fuel flow transducer (I used the Red Cubes) inline with the fuel line feeding the engine and then another transducer in the return fuel line. The return line transducer numbers will get subtracted from the engine fuel line transducer numbers to give me an accurate flow reading. GRT had configurations that were plugged into the EIS4000 for these dual transducers. I mounted my transducers on the cockpit side of the firewall.

Assuming you have a Bendix/Precision injection system then no return is required when using the Andair pump. Install nutplates to the raised floor in front of the fuel selector and screw the pump down (there are pictures on Andair's site)

If you have an Airflow Performance system a return is required from diverter valve next to the spider.

If you have an ECi injection system see Bud's response.

There are several threads dealing with where to put the flow flow transducer, many people have got good readings by locating it between the electric pump and the firewall.

Pete

Update

Just received some information from Mattituck and Andair... As long as I use a Bendix Fuel Injection system I am told I need no return line. My current plan is to go from the Andair fuel selector to the Andair fuel filter to the Andair fuel pump followed by the fuel transducer and then to the firewall. Anything wrong with this plan?

... My current plan is to go from the Andair fuel selector to the Andair fuel filter to the Andair fuel pump followed by the fuel transducer and then to the firewall. Anything wrong with this plan?

No, many have done the same.

Pete