Next week I'm flying a 172 from Anchorage to Las Vegas. Though not in an RV, I was wondering if anyone here has made the trip form Alaska to the lower 48, and if so, any advise? We will have plenty of cold weather gear and survival supplies.

Thanks

monitor the enroute freqs on the charts.
Plenty of airliners overhead (flying both north and south) that can look out the window and let you know what the weather looks like ahead. Or even pull it up on their ACARs and relay it to you. They will meet you on 123.45 (i think thats right, it's on the charts)
More than likely, once you talk to the first crew, and tell them what your doing, the conversation won't end as others coming up behind them will probably join in... ;-)
I also hear that following the big road is the safest route this time of year...
Good luck, always leave your self an "out" ;-)

DM

This year marks 10 years since Tuppergal and I flew to Alaska with Gary Sobek & Trish Russell. I agree with flying the Alaskan Highway as there are lots of places to land (and we saw planes parked next to cafes along the way). Flight Service is your BEST friend!

Here's the route we flew which also depicts our flight home along 'The Trench'):

Alaska_2001.jpg

We cleared customs at Spokane Int'l but a couple of months ago we flew into Felts Field (SFF) where I thought I saw a Customs trailer (where you may clear into the USA quicker and get fuel). From there, I recommend the following routing (with fuel stops except 0L4/BTY) into Vegas (which I've flown a couple of times);

Spokane (GEG or SFF), Caldwell (EUL), Winnemucca (WMC), Tonopah (TPH), 0L4 (Goldfield), Beatty VOR (BTY) into Las Vegas. This will keep you clear of the restricted areas along the way.

I learned a LOT on the Alaska trip so check-in offline if there is something I may be able to answer for you. Have a safe flight! :D Rosie

Last edited:
Flying in the north

Living up here I have found this time of year to be the best for flying. Every lake is smooth and flat if you loose an engine. Water is so low on the rivers that gravel bars are also a good alternative. If an off airport emergency arrises, be aware that most fatal hypothermia cases happen between 30 and 50 degrees due to not being able to keep dry. Some folks carry a wiskey flask full of gas on their person to toss on a standing dead spruce tree to light off for warmth and make a signal.
The good stuff... Lots of power and lift in the cold air. Almost no convective activity. No bugs or bears! Days are getting longer. If the moon is out, the amount of light after dark that is reflected off the snow is just incredible. The chance to see northern lights is also a little better in the spring and fall. It sounds like a good adventure!

Thanks for the replies and info guys, we will most certainly follow the Alaska Highway. Plenty of fuel stops, and emergency fields :)

I have flown the trip 3 times and I am planning a trip for this summer. It is an easy trip and here are my thoughts.

1. Follow the highway.
2. Never leave gliding distance of the highway. If you land safe a 1/2 mile off the highway. Especially in the summer, you probably can't make it to the road.
3. There are lots of good airports with good services.
4. You can land a light airplane on the highway almost anywhere.
5. Fly VFR until you are south of Ft Nelson, because the views are incredible and you do not want to miss them.
6. Do not get in a hurry. Wait for the Weather. Getting weathered in and meeting the locals and seeing the local sights have been some of the greatest experiences of my trips....

The people are wonderful, (great stories) the beer is plentiful (Alaska Amber) and the fish (Halibut) is incredible!!! It is the flight of a lifetime, take your time and relish it!

This year marks 10 years since Tuppergal and I flew to Alaska with Gary Sobek & Trish Russell. I agree with flying the Alaskan Highway as there are lots of places to land (and we saw planes parked next to cafes along the way). Flight Service is your BEST friend!

Here's the route we flew which also depicts our flight home along 'The Trench'):

--- snip ---

We cleared customs at Spokane Int'l but a couple of months ago we flew into Felts Field (SFF) where I thought I saw a Customs trailer (where you may clear into the USA quicker and get fuel). From there, I recommend the following routing (with fuel stops except 0L4/BTY) into Vegas (which I've flown a couple of times);

Spokane (GEG or SFF), Caldwell (EUL), Winnemucca (WMC), Tonopah (TPH), 0L4 (Goldfield), Beatty VOR (BTY) into Las Vegas. This will keep you clear of the restricted areas along the way.

I learned a LOT on the Alaska trip so check-in offline if there is something I may be able to answer for you. Have a safe flight! :D Rosie

Rosie:

Remember the photo taken of you over Fort Yukon (north of the Arctic Circle)?
N628PV%20over%20Ft%20Yukon%20Arctic%20Circle%202.jpg

Do not forget that my airplane came back home to SoCAL by way of Kitty Hawk "First Flight" Airport. 83 hours on the hobbs meter over 3 weeks.
Kitty%20Hawk%20air%209.jpg

Yes there were 2 oil changes on the trip. Remember the one oil change we did in Lane Olsen's driveway? (Taxied to the front driveway and drained the oil into containers in the driveway.)
Wolf%20Lake%202.jpg

This thread is bringing back lots of good memories. As Doug "B25Flyer" Rozendaal posted today, the people we meet in Canada were just as nice if not nicer than the people we have meet at airports in the lower 48.