Geico266

Well Known Member
I've been trying to "pin down" what happens and how I make mistakes building my RV so I can minimize them and make fewer ones.

Am I getting too excited not to READ the instructions? Lack of concentration? Lack of comprehension? Attention to detail? Looking ahead too far and not paying attention to the task at hand? Working too many hours at once? Quality control of tasks completed?

What have you guys noticed as your "cause" of past errors (Only if you have made a mistake ;)) and how have you adjusted your building techniques?

Last edited:
Most of mine have come about as a result of looking briefly at the drawings and reading the next step, and then "Oh, OK, that's simple enough..." and plow forward while missing some small detail.

Without a doubt most of my mistakes have followed not thoroughly studying the drawings and instructions for the task at hand.

Followed by making a small modification that, at the time seems like a really brilliant idea only to find out 12 steps later it is causing a problem.

Read and Highlight

My troubles have been not reading the plans and noting small issues. While working on the elevators counter weights I say I had to cut a notch in a counter weight, there is a nice picture on the DWG, what I missed was the not that said only trim right weight. I did one and thought heck I have all the tools out I will just get the left one out of the way now, oooops. It would have helped if the title of the DWG was "right elevator weight" but there is a note that I missed that tells you only to do the right counter weight.

What has helped me a bunch is reading as many other builder sites as I can, in hopes of learning from others. Waiting to get the correct tool has helped. Every time I have tried to just do with what I have I have buggered something up and ended up getting the proper tool. It is hard to fight the urge to keep moving, instead of waiting for something.

Turn off the shop radio

I find I make a lot less mistakes when I turn off the shop radio. This is especially true of talk radio.

Since I noticed this, I only have it on when I am doing something repetitive.

I think it's all about the drawings. I'm plans building a Mustang II and even though I'm fabricating over 90% of the parts from raw stock I'm sure I'm spending 50% of total build time studying the drawings. Once you understand how parts work together your mistakes should be minimized.

I made the counterweight mistake as well :) What helped me catch myself from a couple of mistakes is to read ahead in the plans, far enough to the part where you are doing the next step with the parts you are currently working on. Instead of blindly following the instruction, find out and understand why it needs to be done and what other parts it affects or meshes with.

Anatomy of a building mistake

What a great thread! I've always been interested in what makes people think the way they do, how they draw different conclusions then me from the same text or task. I have a problem with following directions. I'll start reading and somewhere I'll switch to my " I get it " mode before I finish. Building the tail section was my test. Could I do it without making critical mistakes or deviating from the directions? The key for me was recognizing my habits ( good and bad ) and being more open to help and constructive criticism. Believing we can al learn something from everyone and a positive attitude. This site has been a great source of inspiration and a wealth of information.:)

I think I'm seein g a pattern here! Inattention to the details of the prints, distractions (radio or TV), and the "I've got it" moment a tad too soon.

Slow down, turn off the radio, and read the instructions twice. Maybe?

Slow down, turn off the radio, and read the instructions twice. Maybe?

And absolutely no drinking while building! :eek:

The beerfridge is for cleanup only! :D

1001009ep3.jpg

Pushing through "stick-points" with self-imposed deadlines

Larry, et al:

I bought my -6 flying, but for various maintenance, mods and upgrades (especially the panel project), I found that when I placed self-imposed deadlines on completing a job, or even a portion of a job, that's when I messed up.

Kind of a "cousin" of rushing, even though it may not have been a case working too fast. More like, "I'll keep going, because", "I really would like to get this piece done today" or "if I get this step done before I go home for dinner, I'll be one step farther tomorrow".

If it's just not going well, and I add in some of what you and the other posters are saying...i.e., "well I should look at the install maual one more time", or "I should ask a friend or customer support if he/they concur with my next step", or "I don't have the perfect tool for this job, but this one will do", that's when I usually dork it up, and often take a step backwards, instead of forward.

Hmmm, sent back the EFIS because I just really wanted to get the software update done on Thanksgiving...no one to talk to, but...ooops, guess I'll send it in for a fix, and get it done next week when it gets back (ouch). Or, well I've never installed a servo bracket before, and they said the bottom rivets are optional, no one here to ask, so here goes...ooops, that didn't work, guess I'll get advice and help and drill out the rivets and do it right tomorrow...and oh yeah, fab up a new bracket too (ouch). Could list more ouches, but you get the idea.

Guess I'd sum it up by offering this add to your anatomy list: "No hard pushing through stick-points. Take a break, get help and/or the right tool, and come at it with a fresh perspective".

Might be an echo of what was said before...just $.02 from a relative rookie "mech". Good lessons from all if I ever do build (and I'm getting that itch that I can't really afford to scratch!) :)

Cheers,
Bob

My biggest mistakes have been when working too late into the night. I go brain-dead at a certain point and am at risk from there on...